Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JBrew3
Novice

Proper way to power down an Intel Edison w/ Arduino Breakout Board?

Jump to solution

How do I get an Intel Edison with Arduino breakout board to do a safe shutdown without opening a shell and issuing a "shutdown -P now"?

For example on BeagleBone Black, I just press the "power" button, and the BeagleBone executes the "poweroff" command.

However on the Edison with Arduino breakout board, the power button apparently does about 4 different things, none of which initiate a safe shutdown:

1. Power button (SW1UI2): The power button is used to change the power mode of the Intel® Edison. It is configured by software. Pressing and holding the power button will cause the Intel® Edison to power down leaving the IO configuration in its current state. Pressing the button momentarily when the Intel® Edison is powered down will cause the Intel® Edison to reboot. If the Intel® Edison is running, then a momentary press will cause the Intel® Edison to go into the low power sleep mode. Pressing the button momentarily when the Intel® Edison is asleep, will bring the Intel® Edison into full power mode. Pressing and holding the power button for more than 2 seconds but less than 7 seconds will turn the Intel® Edison AP mode on.

(source: /docs/DOC-23454 https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-23454 )

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

1 Solution
Diego_V_Intel
Employee

Hello John_Brewer,

You can power the Edison down with the PWR button. You have to press and hold it for a while and you will see how the Edison is powered down. To power it up just press and hold the PWR button again. If you have a terminal session open while doing this process you will see how the Edison boots once it is powered up when using this method.

Regards,

Diego.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Diego_V_Intel
Employee

Hello John_Brewer,

You can power the Edison down with the PWR button. You have to press and hold it for a while and you will see how the Edison is powered down. To power it up just press and hold the PWR button again. If you have a terminal session open while doing this process you will see how the Edison boots once it is powered up when using this method.

Regards,

Diego.

View solution in original post