Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

PuTTY Terminal no response with Galileo Gen 2 Board

We are connecting to the Galileo board using PuTTY. It appears to connect, but when I try to type anything in the command-line, there's no response.

The documentation for starting up the session says to hit enter twice to get to the login. When I hit enter, nothing happens.

When I hit reset on the Board itself, I get a short string of numbers and characters on the command-line so there must be the communication between the board and my terminal.

We are using a USB to micro-USB cable to connect the board to my Windows 8.1 computer.

It's connecting on COM3 at speed 115200.

Why am I unable to type anything in the PuTTY command window? Is there a better terminal to use for this than PuTTY?

10 Replies
Highlighted
New Contributor II

Hi,

Putty works fine for me. But if you want there are many alternatives. Termite, TeraTerm, Screen, etc..

I think you should first check if COM3 really is the port where your device is. Second to connect directly to Galileo you need serial cable:

Cheers

Highlighted
Employee

Hi Micahz,

The serial cable you have to use to get access to the terminal is shown here: http://www.intel.com/support/galileo/sb/CS-035124.htm Intel® Galileo Boards and Kits — Console Serial Cables

Regards,

Diego.

Highlighted
Novice

i have this problem also in galileo gen 1

Highlighted
Novice

I am using intel Galileo Gen1 and when I connect to putty and press enter twice nothing happens and I don't see the prompt in the black screen. Any idea why is that?

I am following this tutorial:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/getting-started-with-the-intel-galileo-board-on-windows Set Up Serial Terminal on the Intel® Galileo Board for Windows* | Intel® Developer Zone

Highlighted
Employee

Hello,

Please make sure that there is a COM port assigned to your Galileo board when the serial cable is connected. In the Device Manager you can check it. Additionally, make sure that the baudrate selected is 115200.

Have you updated the firmware of the board? You can use the Firmware Updater Tool available here: http://www.intel.com/support/galileo/sb/CS-035101.htm Intel® Galileo Boards — Software Downloads.

Regards,

Diego.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi Diego,

COM7 is assigned and I have checked in device manager and there was no problem. Also the baudrate I had selected is 115200. Do I need just to connect the microSD to USB cable besides the power or do I also need to connect the audiojack to USB cable for serial RS232 communication? (or just the audiojack to USB and not the MicroSD to USB besides?) I wonder if there is a video that can walk me through this process?

Also I had updated my firmware successfully and there was no problem with that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

The way I solved it was using the AudioJack to USB along with MicroUSB to USB and use the COM port number for the AudioJack to USB instead. I have attached a photo which explains further. Using only the MicroUSB to USB or using its port number didn't work in my case.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

That's because you can connect using putty only with serial cable. When you use only micro USB cable, you can only load Arduino sketch to the board. The tutorial which link you posted is quite clear regarding this. For Gen 1, install the drivers that should have been provided with your serial to USB converter from the manufacturer....

Cheers, Jernej

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello MonaJalal,

I found the following video that shows how to set up the serial connection with the terminal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh66UZepJP0 Setting Up a Serial Connection on a Gen 1 Intel® Galileo Board - YouTube. I hope you find it useful. Additionally, the following guides might be interesting for you to check:

Regards,

Diego.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

i have same problem also in galileo gen 2

0 Kudos