Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GVere
Novice

PuTTY terminal not responding.

I can connect my Edison module to PuTTY by using a serial connection, however, once I'm inside the terminal I press 'enter' twice and nothing happens. I have repeated this several times. I have installed the latest drivers, firmware and Yocto image. Despite this, either my Edison module or PuTTY remains unresponsive. I am doing this because I need to find its IP address so that I can use my board in XDK.

0 Kudos
31 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi T1T4N,

Thanks for your interest in the Intel® Edison™ Platform.

Have you already followed this guide https://software.intel.com/en-us/setting-up-serial-terminal-on-system-with-windows IoT in order to setup a serial connection? Please be sure to check your Device Manager, so you know you are selecting the right serial port. Also, be sure to use a baud rate of 115200.

We will be waiting for your results, have a nice day!

Best Regards,

-Jose P.
GVere
Novice

Hello Jose,

Using the guide, I have previously succeeded in connecting to the terminal. During that session, I was able to name my edison module and give it a password as well as enable wifi. However, when I performed the same connection process a day later, I was greeted by a blank terminal. I proceeded to double tab 'enter' multiple times yet still, either my Edison module or the terminal was unresponsive. Now I am left completely baffled as to where I went wrong.

Kind regards,

- T1T4N.

idata
Community Manager

Hi T1T4N,

Thanks for sharing this information! Have you tried to re-flash your Edison? (Just follow this procedure https://software.intel.com/en-us/flashing-the-firmware-on-intel-edison-board IoT - Flashing your firmware manually | Intel® Software again)

We will be waiting for your reply, have a nice day!

Best Regards,

-Jose P.
idata
Community Manager

Hi T1T4N,

Were you able to fix your Edison issue? Please let us know in order to assist you.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

-Jose P.
GVere
Novice

Hello Jose,

My sincere apologies for the late reply. I have recently been away on holiday. This Wednesday, I will be able to proceed in re-flashing my Edison module. Therefore, I will provide you with the result on Wednesday. Thank you for your help and support so far, it is much appreciated!

Kind regards,

- T1T4N.

idata
Community Manager

Hi T1T4N,

Don't worry, we are here to help! Please let us know your results!

Best Regards,

-Jose P.
GVere
Novice

Hello Jose,

I have reached the step 3 of flashing my board, however, I am unsure as to which one of these is the dfu-util.exe file.

Regards,

- T1T4N

idata
Community Manager

GVere
Novice

Kind regards,

- T1T4N.

idata
Community Manager

Hi T1T4N,

Which command you are trying to use to access the image directory? If the location is on Downloads, please try this command: cd Downloads\"name of the image downloaded"

In my case it looks like this:

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

-Jose P.
GVere
Novice

Hello Jose,

As you can see, I am receiving a message that reads "The systen cannot find the path specified."

Regards,

- T1T4N.

PS. I apologise for the likely irrelevant lines of code that you may have to sift through.

idata
Community Manager

Hi T1T4N,

You can't use the "iot-devkit-prof-dev-image-edison-20160606", since that is not the name of the directory where your image is located. Could you be so kind to show me the name directory where your image file is located?

It should look something like this:

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

-Jose P.
GVere
Novice

Kind regards,

- T1T4N.

idata
Community Manager

Hi T1T4N,

Please try the command: cd Downloads\iot-devkit-prof-dev-image-edison-20160606-patch (1)

If that doesn't work just copy the path on the Documents window, please see the image below, so you understand what I'm trying to explain you:

The command would be: cd (paste the path in blue)

Hope this helps, have a nice day!

Best Regards,

-Jose P.
GVere
Novice

Hello Jose,

As you can see, I have successfully re-flashed my Edison module, however, my issue regarding the unresponsive terminal persists. I believe that I need access to a terminal because I require my module's IP address. Do you have any more suggestions?

Kind regards,

- T1T4N.

idata
Community Manager

Hi T1T4N,

You don't need the IP address in order to establish a communication with your Edison, you can follow this guide: https://software.intel.com/en-us/setting-up-serial-terminal-on-system-with-windows IoT . Are you experiencing the same issue that you mentioned in one of your previous replies:

"

Hello Jose,

Using the guide, I have previously succeeded in connecting to the terminal. During that session, I was able to name my edison module and give it a password as well as enable wifi. However, when I performed the same connection process a day later, I was greeted by a blank terminal. I proceeded to double tab 'enter' multiple times yet still, either my Edison module or the terminal was unresponsive. Now I am left completely baffled as to where I went wrong.

Kind regards,

- T1T4N.

"

If you are please let me know, so we can assist you in the best way possible.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

-Jose P.
GVere
Novice

Hello Jose,

Unfortunately, as stated in my reply that you presented to me, I am still experiencing the same issue regarding the unresponsive terminal. Finally, I deemed it necessary for me to acquire my module's IP address as I am of the understanding that this will allow me to experiment with various code samples via the Intel XDK (IoT edition) application.

Kind regards,

- T1T4N.

idata
Community Manager

Hi T1T4N,

Could you be so kind to provide me images of the device manager when you connect the Edison to your computer? Also, we would appreciate if you could share images of your Putty console.

Best Regards,

-Jose P.

GVere
Novice

Kind regards,

- T1T4N.

idata
Community Manager

Hi T1T4N,

According to your screenshot, you are not using the correct COM port and that would be the reason you are not getting any output in terminal. You should choose the one that appears as "USB Serial Port" as it's shown in the screenshot below.

The interesting detail here is that you are not seeing that port in the Device Manager, so there are two possible reasons for this:
  1. You don't have the USB cable connected to the USB serial port in the board.
  2. You don't have the USB driver installed in your computer.

Hopefully it's the first reason and you only need to connect the USB cable to the correct USB port. Make sure you have connected the USB cable to the edge port as shown in the picture below. If you have connected this cable to the board but still there is nothing in the Device Manger, then let's try to install the FTDI driver. In order to install it, please check the following guide in section 'Installing the FTDI drivers": https://software.intel.com/en-us/installing-drivers-for-intel-edison-board-with-windows https://software.intel.com/en-us/installing-drivers-for-intel-edison-board-with-windows

Regards,

Diego V.