cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

Qaurk x1000 BIOS Flash selection clarification

Hi Team,

In one of our quark x1000 based custom design we have used W25Q64FVSSIG (IC FLASH 64MBIT 104MHZ 8SOIC) flash for BIOS,due W25Q64FVSSIG Flash part EOL we would like to go with the new available part which is W25Q128FVSIG-ND (IC FLASH 128MBIT 104MHZ 8SOIC) .Could you please check and let us know whether we can replace this part with the above specified part or not.If not please provide us the suitable BIOS flash parts or vendor details and also provide the details if there is any specific requirements in selecting the BIOS flash for Quark x1000.

Thanks

Narendra

7 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi MNKR,

Thank you for contacting us. We looked at the product attributes of both chips you mention and as you pointed out, the main difference is the memory size. The document that lists the considerations you should take while designing with the Quark X1000 is the PDG, which can be found here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/embedded/products/quark/quark-x1000-platform-design-guide.htm... http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/embedded/products/quark/quark-x1000-platform-design-guide.htm...

The SPI Flash Design Guidelines can be found in Section 11.

In the description you can see that: "Each SPI flash device can be up to 64 Mbytes (512 MBits)". These 64 Mbytes is the memory size of the W25Q64FVSSIG. I believe the upgrade you want to perform won't be possible, because the memory size of the flash you want to use exceeds the value listed in the PDG. Please take a look the section mentioned, for the guidelines on how to choose a memory that works with your Quark X1000.

At the end of section 11 you can see a list of serial flash vendors in case you want to consider additional devices.

Let us know if this answers your question.

Regards,

-Sergio A

idata
Community Manager

Hello Serigo,

For your information W25Q64FVSSIG is 64Mbit not 64Mbyte.I hope as per your suggestions W25Q128FVSIG-ND (IC FLASH 128MBIT 104MHZ 8SOIC) meets the requirement.

Thanks

Narendra

idata
Community Manager

Hi MNKR,

I reviewed the datasheet of both the W25Q64FVSSIG and the W25Q128FVSIG-ND and you're right, the W25Q64FVSSIG is 64MBIT and the W25Q128FVSIG-ND is 128MBIT, not Mbyte. I apologize for the confusion. In that case, it seems that the W25Q128FVSIG-ND meets the guidelines established in the PDG. I apologize once again for the confusion and let us know if there's anything else we can assist you with.

Regards,

-Sergio

idata
Community Manager

Thanks Serigo for confirmation.I will get back to you if there are any other clarifications.

Thanks

Narendra

idata
Community Manager

You're welcome @Narendra. We're here to help in any way we can. Don't hesitate to contact us again if help is needed.

Regards,

-Sergio A

idata
Community Manager

Hi Serigo,

We don't see W25Q128FVSIG-ND part in quark software source files.

BIOS code of Quark supports only below parts.

Supported SPI Flash Devices:

SpiFlash25L3205D // Macronix 32Mbit part

SpiFlashW25Q32 // Winbond 32Mbit part

SpiFlashW25X32 // Winbond 32Mbit part

SpiFlashAT25DF321 // Atmel 32Mbit part

SpiFlashQH25F320 // Intel 32Mbit part

SpiFlash25VF064C // SST 64Mbit part

SpiFlashM25PX64 // NUMONYX 64Mbit part

SpiFlashAT25DF641 // Atmel 64Mbit part

SpiFlashS25FL064K // Spansion 64Mbit part

SpiFlash25L6405D // Macronix 64Mbit part

SpiFlashW25Q64 // Winbond 64Mbit part

SpiFlashW25X64 // Winbond 64Mbit part

SpiFlashQH25F640 // Intel 64Mbit part

Could you please check and let us know how to use W25Q128FVSIG-ND for our project?

Thanks

Narendra

idata
Community Manager

Hi Narendra,

We've sent you a private message, please check your inbox.

Regards,

-Sergio