I have the following connector: http://www.easysync-ltd.com/product/543/es-u-2101-m.html ES-U-2101-M | USB to isolated 2-port RS422/RS485.
I am attempting to use it to monitor temperature from an industrial cable going through a network controller and switch (using the Arduino IDE and ModbusMaster library). The unit seems to be powered by the Galileo when it is plugged in via the USB port on the Galileo, but it is unclear as to whether the Galileo is actually capable of communicating via the connector. Has anyone tried using this or a similar connector? Did it (or something similar) work for you? Is there any reason this type of connection wouldn't work on the Galileo?
Have you made any configuration prior to connecting the RS485? Do you see any errors when trying to communicate with this adapter, if so, which ones?
I found a couple of threads related to this type of connector
/message/323572# 323572 https://communities.intel.com/message/323572# 323572
Check them out and let us know your results.
Thanks for the response. I looked at those discussions previously, and there are certainly parallels, but I was more curious if anyone had tried this specific connector and if they had done so recently. (It is quite possible that no one has tried this connector and that I am just going to have to mess about and see what I can come up with.)
As for the error, the problem I am having right now is that, while the sketch runs, I just get the generic "communication error" that is written in the code as opposed to an actual error code. I am not sure if the communication error exists because I don't have the right address for the hardware, or if the Galileo just cannot read the input. I am trying to rewrite a bit of the code, and I am reexamining the hardware to ensure everything is correctly wired.
I appreciate the links, and I will continue to work at it, and I will review those threads again, just in case I missed something. If I come up with a solution (or at least more specific details about the error), I will pass it along.
Thank you for the update. Unfortunately we don't have this adapter to do some tests. Please share your results with the community. Hopefully other users have this adapter and can provide more information.
With just this communication error, it's difficult to know the exact cause of the issue, but in case there's more to your circuit than just the Galileo and the adapter, try to test each component separately to make sure it's working properly to try and isolate the root cause issue.
At this point it seems to be an issue with the temperature cable itself. I have tested the controller and switch, and they are definitely receiving power, but they don't seem to be communicating with the sensor. I will update you if it all gets sorted out. Thanks for your help.