Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AAnto17
Beginner

Random Reboot

I bought a Gen 2 (2016) Intel compute stick yesterday it's giving me a lot of issues. I have not been able to use it for more than an hour without it randomly rebooting. That is to say, I'm using it fine one minute, suddenly the screen goes black and after a few seconds it starts to boot up again - classic spontaneous rebooting!

Things to note:

* It is powered from the AC adapter and there are no ventilation issues

* I had a wireless keyboard / mouse dongle in the USB 2 port

* There was nothing connected to the USB 3 port

Each time it rebooted I was performing only basic tasks. For example it crashed during the following activities (in isolation - not all at the same time):

* Simple web-browsing *crash*

* Watching a YouTube video *crash*

* Playing a video file across my wireless network from my NAS *crash*

* Looking at files in windows explorer *crash*

None of these tasks were pushing the CPU very hard.

I checked the "Event Viewer" in windows and all it shows is a kernel power error which implies that the computer was shut down unexpectedly/abruptly.

That is obviously what happened... only that I didn't choose to have the computer shut down immediately and randomly.

Unfortunately it doesn't help explain WHY it suddenly reboots. Because of the sudden nature there are no useful error logs as to why it shut down.

Given the randomness of the reboots, it is hard to reproduce intentionally to diagnose and searching the internet has failed to produce a reliable explanation / solution.

It shouldn't be this hard. I would consider myself an "advanced" user, but irrespective of this, I expect to just plug this thing and have it work. I shouldn't have to mess around with settings or trawl through forums to find a solution.

This device is pitched as a power and easy to use "on-demand" PC. Even the box says something like "Turn any TV/Monitor with HDMI into a computer".

Sure, technically you can - just don't expect to work productively for more than an hour and make sure you save your work like a paranoid, obsessive-compulsive person who has an unnatural attachment to the Ctrl+S shortcut.

In the absence of a easy, reliable and permanent solution, I am ready to return this for a full refund. My only hope is that the pokey little store I bought it from acknowledges the consumer laws that exist in this country (Australia).

/rant over

Antman

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Try using this tool to debug the crashes. It should tell you if it's a driver issue or not. Make sure mini dumps are enabled.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html Blue screen of death (STOP error) information in dump files.

AAnto17
Beginner

Thanks, but the issues I'm having as clearly articulated are not BSOD. They are sudden and hard resets. Basically the same behaviour as if you were to unplug the wall power adapter, then plug it back in.

As such, there is no information that tool can provide of use to my circumstances.

idata
Community Manager

Have you tried another power adapter and or power cable? Probably just a bad unit and I would return it if you can.

idata
Community Manager

Hello Anton:

This problem could be related as it was mentioned above to a defective power adapter or a defective stick.

If you have the option to test it with a different power adapter will be great, because we will know for sure.

If you do not have that option, then as you said, you can always get in contact with the place of purchase for a refund or a replacement, or you can always get in contact with us since you do have 1 years of warranty on the stick.

If you are interested in the replacement, in order to do that, please get in contact directly with us through chat, email, online support or phone support, here is the link to do that, you just need to select the type of product you are interested in replacing and you will get those options:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html# @12 http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html# @12

Alberto

AAnto17
Beginner

The company I work for had recently purchased 10 Intel Compute Sticks (Gen 2) to use as thin-clients. I have tested my personal device with two other power adapters from those at work.

I can confirm that the issue persists irrespective of the power adapter used.

idata
Community Manager

Hello André:

Thank you very much for that information

In this case a replacement of the stick is needed.

You can either check with the place of purchase or we can replace it for you:

If you are interested in the replacement, in order to do that, please get in contact directly with us through chat, email, online support or phone support, here is the link to do that, you just need to select the type of product you are interested in replacing and you will get those options:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html# @12 http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html# @12

Alberto