cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

SD card problem

Hello. I tried to insert SD memory card. But I always get the messages:

[ 32.090976] mmc1: Timeout waiting for hardware interrupt.

[ 32.097733] mmc1: error -110 whilst initialising SD card

I tried to format card with EXT4, fat32. I tried a few cards: 4 GB, 32 GB HC U1, 32 GB HC Class 10. But results are the same.

Help me please.

10 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi,

Some class 10 SD cards have reported issues such as in this thread /message/302486# 302486 https://communities.intel.com/message/302486# 302486 . Can you try using a class 4 SD card to see if you get the same results? There are also a few suggestions in the thread you can find useful.

Sergio

idata
Community Manager

Thanks for your reply. I've tried class 4 SD card and class 2 SD card. The results are the same. Besides I've tried these cards with Ubilinux. Without success.

idata
Community Manager

Do you see these errors when using Yocto? I'm using Yocto and I'm not seeing these errors. Unfortunately, there's no list with the compatible SD cards with this board so only by testing you'd be able to tell if the SD works.

I use a microSDHC 8 GB class 4 and a microSDHC 8 GB class 10, both Kingston.

Sergio

idata
Community Manager

Yes. I see these errors when using Yocto. I tested 11 cards. These errors appear even on boot process.

idata
Community Manager

Specifically, which Yocto image are you using? You can check using the command configure_edison –version or with cat /etc/version if you're using release 3.0.

Have you already tried a low level format of the SD card?

We noticed you opened a service ticket in https://customercare.intel.com/?lang=en-US https://customercare.intel.com/?lang=en-US . We'll post a suggestion for you there soon.

Sergio

idata
Community Manager

cat /etc/version command gives me 201603141535. uname -a gives me Linux edison 3.10.17-poky-edison+ # 2 SMP PREEMPT Mon Mar 14 15:26:16 PDT 2016 i686 GNU/Linux.

I didn't try low level format, but 3 of cards brand new, another works fine with another devices.

Which type of file system should I select for the low level format?

Dmitry

idata
Community Manager

I've formatted the SD card class 4, 4 GB with the HDDLLFT tool. But result is the same.

idata
Community Manager

Seems to be a hardware problem. You should try a new Arduino Breakout board.

Refering to the Spark Fun Block the level shifter is the limiting factor.

It should be able to handle up to Class 6 Cards (I successfully can use Class 6 Cards with an TXS0108, SparkFun used TXB0108).

Faster Cards cannot be read and lead to an error. (If analyse the signals you can see that the level shifting is not correct, there are no clear high/low signals)

The Intel Arduino Breakout can handle Class 10 Cards.

Flo1991

idata
Community Manager

Hi DufeRob,

We'll continue helping you in the service ticket you opened. We want to make sure this is not an issue with the SD socket.

Sergio

idata
Community Manager

Thanks for your help, Sergio. Intel has changed my board. The new one works fine. I think there was a hardware problem.

Thanks to Intel.