Intel® Makers
Intel® Edison, Intel® Joule™, Intel® Curie™, Intel® Galileo
Announcements
Welcome - This is a Peer-to-Peer Forum only. Intel has discontinued these products but you may find support from other customers on this Forum
9873 Discussions

SPI DMA Mode patches and latest IOT release (20160606)

MPapi
New Contributor I

Has anyone had any success in getting the SPI DMA patches to build into a usable kernel/ image?

Background:

As we all know SPI on Edison has some "issues" and at this point, I've lost track of what all of them are, but I can say that I have more success bit-banging than using the hardware SPI, and that's pretty sad. I stumbled across Primiano's patch set (https://github.com/primiano/edison-kernel.git GitHub - primiano/edison-kernel: Kernel (v3.10.17 + Intel patch) for Intel Edison IoT module ) and subsequently drcrallen's Yocto layer to implement them (https://github.com/drcrallen/meta-primiano-dma.git GitHub - drcrallen/meta-primiano-dma: Bitbake recipes for @primiano's dma patch set ). I have been unable to successfully build for a number of reasons, all of which boil down to my own inability to understand Yocto and the current source release structure.

What I Have Tried:

1) Incorporating drcrallen's layer directly into the build_edison/conf/bblayers.conf. Having performed all of the sanity checks that I know, it seemed to fit in there, however, a simple re-invocation of bitbake edison-image uboot resulted in nothing much happening ... perhaps somebody knows the incantation that I should be using to at least get a little bit further.

2) In a fit of suicidal dementia, I tried applying the patch sets by hand - I highly recommend against this for the sake your own personal sanity ... the patch sets had some conflicts (or I created some -yet to be understood), that I gave a good try at resolving and again re-launched bitbake, which proceeded to overwrite the lovingly modified files (which I had luckily backed up). I have little hope in this working since the patch sets are massive and the probability that I did all of the changes correctly is vanishingly small...

3) creating a do_unpack() that simply copied over the code from 2) above, into the source directory, but a subsequent do_patch() which I have yet to track down fails subsequently saying that some files don't match the index ...

What I'm asking:

Has anybody been able to get this to work? If so, how? Does anybody know what incantation I should use in attempt 1) above, to get a bit further?

Any help, support or indications would be most welcome ... barring great insights, I'll just go back to the version that was used by drcrallen.

As a final question addressed at Intel, why weren't these patches included in the latest release since they have been in the wild for over a year???

Mario.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MPapi
New Contributor I

Well, my conclusion is that the new kernel is just not worth it.

Instead I am running Primiano's kernel directly and have modified my linux-externalsrc.bb to build directly out of primiano's git. This works for me at 25 MHz on SPI. Until Intel decides to include patches that are publicly available, I have no real choice. Attached, for anyone that would like seemingly functional SPI (seemingly because my testing thus far is limited) , I have attached my linux-externalsrc.bb. As a matter of interest, this could be similarly modified to build other kernels directly into the image. A big thanks to Primiano and drcrallen for having blazed a trail that, for me at least, has been useful and helpful.

Mario.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MPapi
New Contributor I

Well, my conclusion is that the new kernel is just not worth it.

Instead I am running Primiano's kernel directly and have modified my linux-externalsrc.bb to build directly out of primiano's git. This works for me at 25 MHz on SPI. Until Intel decides to include patches that are publicly available, I have no real choice. Attached, for anyone that would like seemingly functional SPI (seemingly because my testing thus far is limited) , I have attached my linux-externalsrc.bb. As a matter of interest, this could be similarly modified to build other kernels directly into the image. A big thanks to Primiano and drcrallen for having blazed a trail that, for me at least, has been useful and helpful.

Mario.