Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

SPI Port Usage - General or boot flash only?

Hello,

The Joule documentation indicates that there are 2 SPI interfaces offered, one with 2 chip selects and one with 3 chip selects. I'd like to connect the SPI from the Joule to an FPGA on my custom expansion board as a general communication interface (Joule is master, FPGA is slave). My concern is that I've heard the SPI busses on Intel devices want to be connected exclusively to SPI boot flash devices.

So the question is, can the Joule SPI interfaces be used as general communication interfaces to devices other than boot flashes?

Thanks,

Jeff

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello Jeff,

Thank you for your interest in Intel® Joule™ Products.

I'll be needing more time to come up with information that you may find useful. I've checked the official documentation and can't confirm, neither deny that the Joule's SPI busses should be connected to boot flash devices.

As soon as I have relevant information I'll post it here.

Thank you for your patience.

Regards,

Andres V.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello Jeff,

The Joule SPI interfaces can be used as general communication interfaces to devices other than the ones that provide initial boot code.

I suggest you to check the examples in the MRAA GitHub website ( https://github.com/intel-iot-devkit/mraa/tree/master/examples/python) to learn more about the Joule's SPI interface.

If you have any other question, don't hesitate to contact us.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Andres V.
0 Kudos