Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

STCK1A32WFC will not start Windows post automatic update (0xc000007b)

Hi,

To cut a very long story short, at the end of the BIOS post Windows 10 immediately refuses to start (see attachment 1), and trying to do a reinstall via USB is yielding all sorts of issues (see attachment 2 for the main error). I am running the latest BIOS, which was updated a few weeks ago. Steps taken to resolve have been:

1. A windows update was applied (don't know what as I wasn't paying attention), and on reboot windows didn't start.

2. Using the latest Windows 10 build (created from the media creation tool), I ran though the Windows start-up troubleshooter... no luck.

3. Tried to restore from the latest version; hangs on selection.

4. Tried recovery point; hangs on selection.

5. Tried a full reinstall; several issues: -

a) (see attachment 1) Get get the KMODE_EXPECTIOPN_NOT_HANDLED error on Windows starting via USB, same as on the commute stick storage (I've tried several USB sticks all the same). Installation USB has been directly plugged in and via a powered hub (with networking RJ45).

b) I on vary rare occasion can get to the initial installation screen; language selection screen, but it doesn't respond...I've manged this twice on around 20-30 install attempts over the last week. Installation USB was directly plugged in.

c) I've once managed to get all the way to the drive selection, but after sitting for an age to become responsive (5 minutes or so) it wouldn't install to the drive when selected and trying to delete the partitions yielded an cannot remove partition error, which took a few minutes to show. Installation USB was plugged in via a powered hub (with networking RJ45).

Has the automatic Windows update screwed up my stick, can something else be done.... hopefully someone can help out.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Community Manager

OK, I've tracked down to what appears to be issues to the eMMC. The disk is generating a "semaphore timeout period has expired".

I've tried to blank the drive to start fully again, but with no luck. Keeping in mind I can't access Windows and the best I have available is loading the Windows installer from the USB. I've tried:

diskpart clean disk

- generating a "semaphore timeout period has expired".

I know that the error states to look at the System Event Log, but I can't load it in the recovery CMD window.

diskpart delete volume with override

- generating a "semaphore timeout period has expired".

diskpart format with attributes fs=ntfs quick label=test (see attachment 2)

- Just sits at 0% complete

I simply can't seem to do anything with the drive as something has locked it up. I have also noted that out of the the 3 main drive volumes the drive letter is missing and two of the 3 are showing as RAW, not NTFS; see attached.

I can't believe that a Windows update has crippled the Compute Stick to suck a degree.... though in saying that several post on line basically say that there is a good chance that the drive has failed if you start getting this error, which isn't too good for a product that I've hardly used, but had nothing but issues with.

Any general suggestions, or specifically on how to blank the drive so I can start again? I've kind of hit a wall....

idata
Community Manager

At this stage, I do believe this issue is related to the MMC drive. I apologize for the inconvenience but you need to contact Intel for warranty service.

As last resort, please make sure you have loaded the latest Intel® Compute stick BIOS version https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26360/BIOS-Update-FCBYT10H-86A-?product=86612 0032

For warranty service, contact Intel at http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html Contact Support

Allan.
idata
Community Manager

Thanks

I've even tried the Ubuntu route, but everything I try states that the eMMC is locked, and the general consensus online when this happens to SD cards is that it's become faulty. I'll go the warranty route to see what happens.

Just thought I'd post back to save others some time if they have the same issue; I've spent around 20 hours with this.

idata
Community Manager

Hi Allan,

I seem to have an open service request for this issue, which looks like it's been opened by yourself.

I've added my detail to that, since opening is new service request fails at submission due the service being is down. If this isn't appropriate, please let me know.

Oh, and I am running BIOS 0032. I also refreshed the BIOS (to the same version) just in case that was involved in the locking....but it didn't help.

idata
Community Manager

Yes, there is already an open ticket but this is a community case. I would recommend contacting during working hours and call your local warranty area.

For warranty service, contact Intel at http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html Contact Support

Allan.
idata
Community Manager

Hi Allan

Can you advise?

I'm seeing the following error while contacting support, just like many others in this post ( ).

I've tried 4 days in a row, over Firefox, IE and Chrome...same error.

idata
Community Manager

I am sorry to hear that you have been experiencing issues trying to access Intel customer care.

I have sent you a private message. Please check your Inbox.

Allan.