Intel® Makers
Intel® Edison, Intel® Joule™, Intel® Curie™, Intel® Galileo
Announcements
Welcome - This is a Peer-to-Peer Forum only. Intel has discontinued these products but you may find support from other customers on this Forum
9880 Discussions

STK1A32WFCR running Ubuntu, any way back to Win8.1?

LChis
Beginner

I have just bought a STK1A32WFCR advertised as "Only used once, as new, out of the box" but discovered it is running Ubuntu.

The vendor states he was offered a choice at first power-on between Win/Linux and chose Ubuntu (I didn't realise this choice was offered by Intel).

I want it running Windows.

a) Does choosing Ubuntu wipe the Windows recovery partition?

b) Is there any official way to restore it to a Windows device?

Googling hasn't really found anything definitive.

All pages about reset/refresh Windows assume it is already able to boot the Windows restore environment with F8, which does nothing in a Ubuntu boot.

The most likely scenario seems to be downloading a Win 8.1 ISO from somewhere, installing it from a USB stick and hoping that NirSoft ProduKey can extract a usable product key from the BIOS to plug back in.

Is there a better way?

Thanks, Len.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AlHill
Super User

This stick came with Windows 8.1 with Bing"

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005899/mini-pcs/intel-compute-sticks.htm... Supported Operating Systems for Intel® Compute Sticks

I would not count on retrieving a product key.

If you do try to install W8.1, this thread may be of help:

Some users have tried, apparently successfully, to use the image in the first post here:

You are on your own with these two links.

Doc