Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

STK1AW32SC - BIOS fails to boot OS after power outage

Hello,

Dealing with the STK1AW32SC.

After an unexpected power outage, sometimes, the BIOS enters a state where it will not try to move past the initial screen displaying 'Intel Compute Stick'.

In this mode the option to press BIOS keys does not appear, and input keys are ignored. After what appears to be a 5 minute + time out, a screen appears with bios options:

ESC for normal boot

F2 to enter bios

F7 to flash etc, rest of the options

But the system hangs there until a key is pressed. I would greatly prefer the system to try and attempt to normal boot the OS instead of waiting on user input. Is this configurable someplace? I would like to embed these devices in a product which is not designed for user interaction.

It appears the stick BIOS keeps track of successful boots and is falling back into another mode.

Also in this state, the bluetooth option can flip from being disabled in BIOS (my preference) to being enabled. So some BIOS configurations are being lost?

I have seen this behavior with BIOS revisions 19, 24, 26.

I will try 29 which I have seen just posted recently and see if this still happens, but the notes make no notice of anything that seems related.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
10 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Let us know what happens when you update to the latest BIOS...

idata
Community Manager

Hello jonesd ,

If the problem persists after you update the BIOS try to see if you can do some troubleshooting following the steps at the following link:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/wizards/Compute_Stick/ http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/wizards/Compute_Stick/

Regards,

Ivan

idata
Community Manager

Hello,

I was reviewing this thread and I would like to know if you were able to resolve your problem or if you need further assistance.

Ivan.
idata
Community Manager

Hi,

After updating to the 29 BIOS, I have not been seeing this same behavior.

At most there is sometimes a delay where the BIOS displays Intel Compute Stick and pauses a while before displaying the on screen button menu (press f2 for bios etc). But then it will continue. This happens infrequently and I have not been able to figure out how to trigger it.

I have not had to perform a BIOS recovery or reset a BIOS (hold down the power button while applying power) nor have I seen a failure to boot/display anything from the BIOS since updating to 29.

Thank you.

idata
Community Manager

I should add that I am testing against multiple Intel Compute Sticks of the same version, so this is not isolated testing to one unit.

idata
Community Manager

At least this one is fine; please let me know if the problem persists or if you need anything else.

idata
Community Manager

Hi,

Just as an update, I have seen one case of this issue with BIOS 29. In this one case, the system was powered on, then power was accidentally cut nearly immediately, and then restored. So a power blip before the system (or possibly even the BIOS) was booted up.

The system would never boot or display anything after this.

In this case, a manual reset (power up, hold power button down for 4 seconds) had to happen and all BIOS settings needed to be reset back to defaults.

idata
Community Manager

Thanks for the information; does the system work fine after setting up the default values?

Hopefully, new BIOS version will come up soon that will fix more issues.

Thanks,

Ivan

idata
Community Manager

Yes the system will work fine once this problem is manually fixed.

The issue I am having with this, is that until the stick is reset with the manual process, there is no output on the HDMI yet the power light is on. The system never attempts to boot the BIOS and therefore, can not boot the operating system.

I was hoping to use these sticks in an embedded device so having to have user interaction and a keyboard etc, to be able to reset them does not work.

I will keep looking for new BIOS updates, while evaluating other products.

thanks

idata
Community Manager

Thanks jonesd for information, hopefully a new BIOS version will come up soon.

Regards,

Ivan