Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DeanG
New Contributor I

STK1AW32SC BIOS v0029/v0030 power-on bug

The BIOS "Power State" setting that controls whether or not the Stick powers-on when connected to power, is no longer effective.

It doesn't appear to matter whether the setting is "Always Off" or "Always On"; the effect is "Always On".

This worked in BIOS v0024, as I recall, and I think it also worked in v0026.

I happen to prefer that the Stick not automatically boot when connected to power, so this is a minor annoyance.

Other possibly related BIOS settings (in that they are not standard):

"PTT" is "Enable" (this is new with v0029)

"Select Operating System" is "Windows 64-bit"

"Secure Boot" is "Enabled"

Edit: Added v0030, as that BIOS has the same bug.

25 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello Dean Gibson,

In regard to your concern, I would like to confirm which will be the current BIOS version that you are running and also if you are facing this issue with that version?

Hope I can hear from you soon.

Regards,

Angie
DeanG
New Contributor I

??? As noted in the subject title, I'm now running version 0029 0030, and according to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26448/BIOS-Update-SCCHTAX5-86A- Download BIOS Update [SCCHTAX5.86A] that is the current version.

As soon as I see that a newer BIOS version has been posted, I will try it, but in the meantime, I'm staying with v0029/0030 (which fixes prior bugs that were important to me to be fixed).

Edit: I tried the newer BIOS (0030), and it has the same bug.

idata
Community Manager

Hello Dean Gibson,

Thank you for your confirmation.

I will try to a deeper research on your concern. Once that I have further details on this investigation I will provide you more information.

Regards,

Angie.
idata
Community Manager

Hello Dean Gibson,

Thank you for your time.

I am still working to get more information related to your concern. As soon as I can be able to confirm more information I will try to reply to you.

Regards,

Angie
idata
Community Manager

Hello Dean Gibson,

I do apologize for the delay on my reply.

I am still working on the investigation of your current concern.

I hope I can reply to you soon with the final details.

Best Regards

Angie
idata
Community Manager

Hello Dean Gibson,

I do apologize for the delay on my reply.

I have not been able to replicate your issue. I will try a second time and as soon as I have additional information I will let you know my findings.

Best regards,

Angie
idata
Community Manager

Hello Dean Gibson,

I have tried to replicate your issue with no success.

Could you please reply with the following information to confirm if am I doing something different:

CategoryQuestionsAnswers (N/A if not applicable)DescriptionProvide a detailed description of the issue Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")</span>

Always (100%):

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):</span>Hardware (HW)Brand and Model of the system. Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too? Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in) How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below). Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.

ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc <span style="border: none windowtext 1.0pt; padding: 0in; color: # 3D3D3D; font-size: 10.0pt; font-family: ari...
idata
Community Manager

Hello Dean Gibson,

I have tried to replicate your issue with no success.

Could you please reply with the following information to confirm if am I doing something different:

CategoryQuestionsAnswers (N/A if not applicable)DescriptionProvide a detailed description of the issue Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")</span>

Always (100%):

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):</span>Hardware (HW)Brand and Model of the system. Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too? Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in) How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below). Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.

ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc <span style="border: none windowtext 1.0pt; padding: 0in; color: # 3D3D3D; font-size: 10.0pt; font-family: ari...
idata
Community Manager

Hello Dean Gibson,

Also, could you please provide me with screenshots of what you see, and what you are unable to see?

All the information provided it is really appreciated.

Best regards,

Angie
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Were you able to attach the requested information?

Allan.

DeanG
New Contributor I

Intel Corporation wrote:

Hello Dean Gibson,

I have tried to replicate your issue withno success.

CategoryQuestionsAnswers (N/A if not applicable)DescriptionProvide a detailed description of the issueWhen power is applied to the device, it always powers on, despite the "Power State" setting in the BIOS, set to "Always Off". See below for more details.Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")</span>

Always (100%): X

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):</span>Hardware (HW)Brand and Model of the system.STK1AW32SCHybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?Intel internal graphicsMake and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue(see note2 below).

LFP= Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP= External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)Samsung 32" HDTV w/ HDMI input.How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).<td style="border: 0px solid black; border-collapse: collapse; vertical-align: bottom; padding: 0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; border-right: solid windowtext 1.0pt; border-bottom: solid windowtext 1.0pt; border-left: none; border-top: none; wid...
DeanG
New Contributor I

Intel Corporation wrote:

Hello Dean Gibson,

Also, could you please provide me with screenshots of what you see, and what you are unable to see?

All the information provided it is really appreciated.

Best regards, Angie

I don't understand this request, for the following reasons:

1. This problem is about whether or not the STK1AW32SC automatically powers on when power is applied (it does but should not, given the selected BIOS option). It is not about what appears on the screen.
  2. Screenshots are not possible to make within the BIOS, but only after Windows has booted.
  3. I don't understand how it is possible to provide a screenshot of what I am unable to see. What I do see, is a BIOS and WIndows OS that boots normally.
DeanG
New Contributor I

allan_intel wrote:

Were you able to attach the requested information?

Allan.

I hope the above information more clearly describes the problem.

idata
Community Manager

Hello Dean Gibson,

Thank you for your reply.

In regard to your concern, when I access to the BIOS settings (with F7), of one Intel® Compute Stick STK1AW32SC.

I am able to see the "Power State" option under the BIOS settings, I am able to see this option of "Always On" and "Always Off".

I have tested with the versions:

All of them, with the option available to set.

At this moment we will continue with the research according to your report. As soon as we have further details, we will let you know.

Best regards,

Angie
DeanG
New Contributor I

The problem is not that you can't set the option. The problem is that (apparently starting with v0029), the "Always Off" option doesn't work. With the option set off, when power is applied to the stick (ie, by plugging the power adapter into a wall socket), it powers on anyway.

I just again verified this. The "Power State" setting was "Always Off", and when I plugged the power in, the Stick automatically booted.

idata
Community Manager

Hello Dean Gibson,

I do apologize if I express myself wrong.

It is correct, this issue that you have mentioned I was unable to get the same results.

Everything works fine; due to this reason, we will continue with an extensive research in order to provide you more information.

Best regards,

Angie
DeanG
New Contributor I

Did you make the other BIOS settings in your test, that I listed in my original post? They are:

Other possibly related BIOS settings (in that they are not standard):

"PTT" is "Enable" (this is new with v0029)

"Select Operating System" is "Windows 64-bit"

"Secure Boot" is "Enabled"

I listed those because I suspect they may have something to do with it. You may not be able to boot Windows with those settings, but you should be able to verify whether or not the Stick auto-powers up.

Meanwhile, I will try temporarily turning those off, which means that I will temporarily not be able to boot (as my installation of WIndows x64 is encrypted and requires those settings.

I will let you know soon.

EDIT: The problem disappears if I set "Select Operating System" to Windows 32-bit".

Changing the other two settings above had no effect.

idata
Community Manager

Hello Dean Gibson,

Thanks for all the details that you have provided.

This case has been escalated for additional investigation. We are working to assist you.

Best regards,

Angie
idata
Community Manager

Hello Dean Gibson,

We are still working on your concern.

I have tried with the steps that you have provided:

-"PTT" is "Enable" (this is new with v0029)

-"Select Operating System" is "Windows 64-bit"

-"Secure Boot" is "Enabled"

-EDIT: The problem disappears if I set "Select Operating System" to Windows 32-bit".

Still, I have not been able to duplicate your issue. We will continue with the investigation and as soon as we have further details we will let you know.

Best regards,

Angie
DeanG
New Contributor I

I just installed the new v0032 BIOS for the Stick, and it's not fixed in the new version, either