Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SHick2
Beginner

STK1AW32SC Wifi Switches Off When USB 3.0 Socket Used

I have the STK1AW32SC compute stick. It has all the latest Win10 updates and drivers from the Intel site, including the latest BIOS (0024) and the latest ProSet Wireless driver (V 19.2). I have taken all of the other updates that I can find.

I am running the stick remotely via a wifi connection. This works absolutely fine until I plug a USB 3.0 device into the USB 3.0 connector, at which point the wifi dies until I unplug the USB 3.0 device and then the wifi starts again.

I can plug USB 2.0 devices into the USB 2.0 socket, and into the USB 3.0 socket, and both work fine. I can plug a USB 3.0 device into the USB 2.0 socket and it will work fine (albeit at slower speed). And I can plug the USB 3.0 device into the USB 3.0 socket using a USB 2.0 cable, and it works fine.

I have seen this is a common ish problem. But is there a solution. I would really like to be able to use the USB 3.0 connection and the wifi at the same time.

Regards

Simon

0 Kudos
9 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Yes, it is a common problem. USB 3.0 utilizes the same 2.4 GHz carrier signal that WiFi uses and this causes the interference and (thus) intermittent operation that you are seeing. Your choices are:

1. Stop using 2.4 GHz WiFi (i.e. switch to 5.0 GHz).
  2. Switch to the use of a USB 3.0 WiFi adapter (it needs to be USB 3.0 if you want Gb-level performance).

Disabling Bluetooth can help a bit, but is not a panacea...

Hope this helps,

...S

idata
Community Manager

Hi mailto:simon.hicks@intellemetrics.com simon.hicks@intellemetrics.com

Please let us know if Scott recommendation helps you.

Regards,

Hellen.

SHick2
Beginner

Hi Scott,

Yes, sorry for not replying sooner....I have been up to my eyeballs! But thanks for the reply, it is greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure I can use the USB 3.0 wifi adapter idea...though I'm intrigued if I could.

I am using the stick to run a pile of imaging software, and the stick is connected via a USB 3.0 cable to a USB 3.0 powered hub which in turn is connected to two USB 3.0 cameras. The whole setup is remote from any internet or wireless signal....i.e. in a field. I have a wireless access point setup next to the stick which creates its own hotspot. I can therefore use my laptop maybe 20 feet away to wirelessly log onto the hotspot, and then use TeamViewer to control the stick remotely. This works fine when I do the camera links as USB 2.0, but not when I go to USB 3.0, for the reasons you outline. The link between the cameras and the stick needs to be fast/high bandwidth because of the two live camera images....but the link between my laptop and the stick doesn't need to be so fast, its just TeamViewer running.

So it seems my options would be;

1) Upgrade my wireless access point so it can handle the 5GHz band....then the cameras could connect into the USB 3.0 socket of the stick.

2) Do something with a USB 3.0 wifi adapter ? But I'm not sure what?

Many thanks for the response.

Cheers

Simon

n_scott_pearson

I am saying disable the internal WiFi adapter and utilize either a USB 3.0- or USB 2.0-based WiFi adapter. I mention USB 2.0 because the possibility exists that a USB 3.0-based WiFi adapter may also have interference issues. It doesn't sound like you need the higher bandwidth.

Hope this helps,

...S

SHick2
Beginner

Ahhhh ....gotcha! OK, that makes great sense. I will definitely give that a go.

Many thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers

Simon

n_scott_pearson

The good news is USB-based LAN and WLAN/WiFi adapters are pretty cheap these days...

idata
Community Manager

Hi,

If there is anything else you need, do not hesitate to contact us back.

Regards,

Hellen.

SHick2
Beginner

Latest Update that may be of use to others:

I disabled the internal wifi and plugged a 2.4GHz b/g/n USB wifi adapter into the USB 2.0 socket. This gave me a working network and everything worked fine.

I then plugged a USB 3.0 cable/camera into the USB 3.0 socket and the compute stick froze. I wondered if the proximity of the wifi adapter to the USB 3.0 socket was to blame.

So I then took the USB wifi adapter out of the USB 2.0 port, plugged a USB 2.0 4 port hub into the USB 2.0 socket, and inserted the USB 2.0 wifi adapter into the hub. This worked fine. I could use 2.4GHz wifi, plus use the USB 3.0 socket with USB 3.0 devices plugged into it and there was no interference between them.

I noted that if I moved the wifi adapter and hub so that the wifi adapter was within about 1cm of the USB 3.0 socket on the stick then the stick froze again. But any distance more than this and everything seems to be fine.

Thanks for all your help.

idata
Community Manager

Hi mailto:simon.hicks@intellemetrics.com simon.hicks@intellemetrics.com

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards,

Hellen.