Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager

Safe to install Windows 10 Creators Update?

Hello Support! As we all know, this update will be available https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/upcoming-features starting April 11th 2017. It will be safe for us to perform this update or not?

29 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello cimbrum:

Thank you very much for joining the Intel® compute stick communities.

To answer your question, the thing is that since the option to do the update is not available yet, there are no tests, reports or documentation to confirm if it is going to caused problems with the compute stick or not. Normally you should be able to install it and the stick should work just fine. As soon as the update becomes available I will install it on the stick we have in our lab and I will let you know the results.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto

Highlighted
Community Manager

I've joined last year not now

Thanks for your response. I thought you're performing in house tests with this future version of Windows 10, that's why I asked here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

cimbrum, excellent, let me apologize for that.

No problem at all, we are here to help you and as soon as the update becomes available I will test it on the stick and I will provide the results on this thread.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

I've updated to Windows 10 RS2 (1703) using an original Microsoft ISO, mounted and run install. No problem during update and the stick is running fine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

AdiGB, Thank you very much for providing those comments, we really appreciate that information.

Regards,

Alberto

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Thanks for your information!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

But the old issues are still present:

- when starting fresh (from power off), the "system interrupts" process eats 100% from one core. In order to avoid that, I disabled fast startup (which was reenabled after RS2 update).

- there are several IO Disk retries events (warnings) in the System Event Viewer. Whether it is normal or not, Intel never addressed this issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

AdiGB, Thank you very much for providing that information.

If you are using an Intel product and it is not working properly, then please submit your inquiry on a new thread, the reason for that is that every scenario is different, even if the same product is being used, so, for us to further assist you to try to fix the specific problem the PC might have, please submit a new thread.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,

Alberto

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

No need to do that, the threads are already here, just without Intel's final solutions/conclusions. The system interrupts issue is the cause for Bluetooth audio drops and the disk IO warning was intensely discussed when the eMMC was working only with write cache disabled. In these threads, the workarounds were found by the users.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

AdiGB, Thank you very much for letting us know those details. We apologize for any type of inconvenience that you might have experienced in those threads, the workarounds from different peers are always useful and helpful and we appreciate the fact that they are sharing that information in our Intel® communities.

cimbrum, I will use the link you gave us previously to install the Windows® Creators Update, and after that I will post all the information on this thread.

Regards,

Alberto

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi, intel_corp

Any news?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi, cimbrum, Just to let you know, currently we are still working on this matter and there is a research ongoing to confirm if there are some requirements the Intel® compute stick needs to meet to work properly with the update, for example, a BIOS update might be required so that is something we are still verifying.

As soon as I get any details of the research I will let you known all that information on this thread.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,

Alberto
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

cimbrum, I just want to inform you that I just received an update on the research we were doing in regard to this subject, and there are no reports or notifications about any known issue between the Windows® 10 Creators update and the Intel® compute stick. So, from our end, we can confirm that you should be able to install it with no problems the and stick should work properly.

I hope this information was useful for you and I encourage all the peers viewing this thread that if the have additional information about the Windows® 10 Creators update and Intel® compute stick, to post all the comments and suggestions on this thread.

Regards,

Alberto

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Thanks! Mine just updated yesterday. It took almost 70 minutes to complete and after the first boot there was an issue with the sound but that issue was solved by Windows' troubleshooting wizard.

One more tip: after this update, a user should perform a cleaning with the "Clean up system files" option in Disk Cleanup. The update will left almost 12 GB on the ICS disk.

Kindly thanks for you support intel_corp!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

cimbrum, You are welcome. Perfect, it is great to hear that you were able to install the update with no problems except with the sound feature that was already fixed.

Thank you very much for sharing those comments, I am sure they will be very helpful for all the peers viewing this thread that have a stick and wanted to install the update.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards,

Alberto

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I have installed creators update yesterday in STK1AW32SC and wireless adapter is invisible in the system. I have try to update drivers 19.50.1 & 19.40, but without any success.

Unfortunately, I need to back to the previous windows version.

Best regards

Michael

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Basically it worked.- be patient takes 3-4 hours - it is especially slow between 80% to 100% during the install

1) Made sure the Windows was 100% up to date.

2) I used the online Windows Update tool that downloads when you click "see how" in Windows update.

3) Just to be safe with all Windows edition updates I put a blank USB thumb drive in a USB Port in case in has space issues - I doubt it used it,

4) It installed fine except the wireless stopped working. Went into the device manager and sure enough there was an exclamation mark next to the Intel wireless card.

5) I plugged another manufactures USB 802.11 dongle in that I knew worked with standard Windows drivers. Connected to the network. Right clicked the Intel wire card in the device manager. Clicked update driver. Selected online update. After the update the built-in Intel wireless started working fine.

6) Shut the stick down. Removed the 3rd party wireless dongle. Started the stick up and all was well.

I am sure you could update the driver via the SD Card but since I happened to have the USB 802.11 dongle it was just easier for me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Michael_1, JeffKilleen, Thank you very much for sharing that information in our communities, we really appreciate that.

Regards,

Alberto

0 Kudos