Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager

Safe to install Windows 10 Creators Update?

Hello Support! As we all know, this update will be available https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/upcoming-features starting April 11th 2017. It will be safe for us to perform this update or not?

29 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

All,

I have successfully installed the Windows 10 Creator's Update onto all models of the ICS (CC m5, CC m3, SC and FC). Here's my input:

• The lower the computing power of the ICS, the slower the process. The CC m5 was the fastest and the FC the slowest (no surprise to me). In the latter case, it can take many hours. Note also that a poor WiFi connection can slow it down even more (especially in the FC case). Bottom line, let it go; don't give up on it; definitely don't abort it.

• While Microsoft has made improvements in their upgrade process, there are still places where their (idiotic) compatibility manager will think something is incompatible and delete/uninstall it (or worse, just a part of it). My recommendation is thus to reinstall *all* driver packages after completing the update. In the case of the WiFI and Bluetooth drivers, I recommend that you uninstall the previous versions completely before initiating the installation of the latest packages again. Also, do Bluetooth before WiFi. That is, uninstall WiFi, uninstall Bluetooth, reboot, install Bluetooth, install WiFi.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Microsoft says to wait your turn on installing W10CU:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-advises-against-manually-installing-window... Microsoft Advises Against Manually Installing Windows 10 Creators Update

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

My FC had no issue during and after installing this Creators Update.

PS - What do you mean "Note also that a poor WiFi connection can slow it down even more (especially in the FC case)"? Indeed, this model has issues with WiFi stability. My unit (FC) has been replaced by Intel Europe because the one I bought had serious WiFi drops even at almost 3 meters away from my router.

PS2 - Meanwhile I bought an Asus VivoPC and my FC unit is retired For the moment...

0 Kudos
Highlighted

You essentially answered your own question. In the FC ICS, Intel tried to cap the BOM by using a cheaper third-party Wi-Fi solution. Big mistake. It sucks. Lesson learned. In the later ICS models, Intel Wi-Fi solutions are used.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

That's funny! So all of us which bought an FC model, are some kind of donators for Intel I'd pay extra money for a better model, but I don't think it's possible here in my country.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

No, that's not what I am saying. When a new usage model like the Compute Stick first appears, no one truly has a really firm handle regarding feature set, price points, market segmentation, etc. and etc. You take the best (hopefully educated) guesses that you can and then adjust subsequent models based upon feedback, sales, etc. In this case, based upon the feedback that they received, they chose to use an Intel Wi-Fi solution in subsequent models (even though more expensive). The (follow-on SC) models (STK1AW32SC and STK1A32SC), released a year after the FC models, are available in the marketplace (and also incorporate a number of other (processor, memory, etc.) improvements).

The problem is that, even though the FC models have been end-of-lifed and are not being manufactured any longer, there still seems to be plenty of them available in the retail channels. Intel has little control over the inventory in the retail channels. At this point, they are someone else's property and they will, in most cases, be offered for sale until stocks are depleted. If the retail channels overestimate the sales potential of a product (easy to do when you are talking about a totally new market segment), they can over-purchase and thus end up with stock that takes a lot longer to sell. The longer they take to sell - and the longer that the money used to purchase the units is tied up in inventory - the greater the desire to sell them quickly and the lower they may be willing to take the price. The problem then is that people will blindly purchase them for no other reason than they happen to be available and are offered at a lower price. People buying products targeted at a totally new segment do not, themselves, understand what they truly need or will accept. For example, they may not know, until they sit down and use it for a while, whether the processing power of a particular PC is what they actually need.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Thanks for your detailed answer. But: these kind of units are quite new into the market and a lot of people (even those which have some IT&C experience) don't know much about those tiny chipsets specifications embedded into these ICS. That's why I consider that I waste my money for my ICS (I payed about 199.8 USD including VAT), and now it stands in one of my desk drawer... Maybe I'll try to sell it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

But that's just it, they are *not* new. Intel is been shipping the FC models since May of 2015; that's *two* full years ago! In fact, the second generation SC and CC models have been shipping since October of 2016 (i.e. 7 full months now)...

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Al Hill wrote:

Microsoft says to wait your turn on installing W10CU:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-advises-against-manually-installing-window... Microsoft Advises Against Manually Installing Windows 10 Creators Update

Doc

That's very interesting, and probably good advice for many, especially for those that have user data on drive C;

However, for those who are proficient in dealing with Windows issues, AND that have ALL of their user data on other storage units (other drives: local, network, or "cloud"), AND don't mind reinstalling all your apps, there is one giant advantage to taking the Creator's Edition ISO and doing a fresh/clean install:

It's blindingly fast.

I have an STK1AW32SC that I had reinstalled the Anniversary Edition of Win 10 x64 Pro on a few months ago. This worked fine, except that available SSD space was minimal. So, when the Creator's Edition came out, I decided to revert back to the x86 variant with a clean install. I downloaded the ISO image and used that.

I was stunned at how fast it was, especially on the STK1AW32SC. I didn't time it on the STK1AW32SC, but it seemed like only 15 minutes. I did time it on another machine, and it was twelve minutes from the initial "select a partition" screen, until the "select a login" screen. That's a lot faster than the "Update Assistance" process.

Yes, I did have to reinstall everything, but on the STK1AW32SC, you don't install everything in the world anyway.

Yesterday, at an organization that I volunteer at, I did a fresh install, from starting the dirst USB ISO boot, to the screens with the recycle bin icon (user login and preferences complete), on all four machines with hard drives (no SSDs) in forty minutes total, with ONE ISO USB stick. Obviously, parts of the installs ran in parallel: as soon as one machine was done copying files from the USB stick, I booted the USB stick in the next machine.

With the STK1AW32SC, it's a good idea to download the SoC, TXEI, GFX, WiFi, and Bluetooth drivers to a spare USB stick ahead of time ( https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/91064/Intel-Compute-Stick-STK1A32SC Downloads for Intel® Compute Stick STK1A32SC ). Then, it's just a few minutes to install those drivers.

If you think you don't need to install the SoC driver before the other drivers, then don't try to update your version of Windows on the stick. EVER.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Just to let everyone know, I updated my first generation ICS to Fall Creators Update (1709) using the MediaCreationTool with a USB stick. The update process was smooth, without any problems and ICS is working fine. But again I need to disable fast startup because it was reenabled after upgrade and the same "system interrupts process eats one core" problem was present. Didn't look at the IO disk retries events yet.

0 Kudos