cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KKier1
Novice

Serial communications not working

Hello,

I am having an issue with my mini breakout board. I've been able to flash and flash recover the board, but whenever I try to screen into the board I just get a blank prompt. Pressing enter twice does nothing. Sometimes if I leave the serial usb plugged in and then unplug then replug the power usb I get the start up text for the board but when the login prompt shows up I cannot type anything in.

Any help would be appreciated

EDIT: I am using a VM on VMWare Workstation 12, I have the devices connected though through the removable devices menu. I will try a LiveBoot USB.

EDIT # 2: Here is a transcript of my screen session

PSH KERNEL VERSION: b0182b2b

WR: 20104000

SCU IPC: 0x800000d0 0xfffce92c

PSH miaHOB version: TNG

microkernel

******* PSH loader *******

Cache Constraint = 0 Pages

*** Ready to receive application ***

U-Boot 2014.04 (Mar 08 2016 - 11:26:05)

Watchdog enabled

DRAM: 980.6 MiB

MMC: tangier_sdhci: 0

In: serial

Out: serial

Err: serial

Hit any key to stop autoboot: 1 0

Target:blank

Partitioning already done...

Flashing already done...

GADGET DRIVER: usb_dnl_dfu

reading vmlinuz

5442880 bytes read in 134 ms (38.7 MiB/s)

Valid Boot Flag

Setup Size = 0x00003c00

Magic signature found

Using boot protocol version 2.0c

Linux kernel version 3.10.17-poky-edison+ (neck@iotdk-ninja) # 2 SMP PREEMPT Mon Mar 14 15:26:16 PDT 2016

Building boot_params at 0x00090000

Loading bzImage at address 00100000 (5427520 bytes)

Magic signature found

Kernel command line: "rootwait root=PARTUUID=012b3303-34ac-284d-99b4-34e03a2335f4 rootfstype=ext4 console=ttyMFD2 earlyprintk=ttyMFD2,keep loglevel=4 g_multi.ethernet_config=cdc systemd.unit=multi-user.target hardware_id=00 g_multi.iSerialNumber=9efade5fa73e843b171c47f8d9182a21 g_multi.dev_addr=02:00:86:18:2a:21 platform_mrfld_audio.audio_codec=dummy"

Starting kernel ...

[ 0.747661] pca953x 1-0020: failed reading register

[ 0.752921] pca953x 1-0021: failed reading register

[ 0.758018] pca953x 1-0022: failed reading register

[ 0.763104] pca953x 1-0023: failed reading register

[ 1.602212] snd_soc_sst_platform: Enter:sst_soc_probe

[ 2.006385] pmic_ccsm pmic_ccsm: Error reading battery profile from ...

Tags (1)
12 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi,

I would like to know which OS you are using on your PC.

Also are you using the /docs/DOC-25154 flashall script with the https://software.intel.com/edison-image/latest latest 3.5 release?

Are you using the command sudo before the screen statement?

Which command are you running for using screen?

Regards,

Charlie

KKier1
Novice

Yes latest script. I am on Ubuntu 14.04, 32 bit or 64 I've tried both.

I've tried using the latest as well as a few previous versions. Trying both the phone flash lite tool and ./flashall.sh with sudo on everything (even phone flash lite)

Still nothing.

KKier1
Novice

Also I'm either running screen from root or using sudo screen /dev/ttyUSB0 115200

idata
Community Manager

Maybe this is a power problem, try an external power source. For example on some laptops you will never get the 500 mA on the USB port as specified.

Flo1991

KKier1
Novice

I am using a variety of power supplies, even one that supplies up to 1.8A. I still am not able to log into the edison. I'll see if I can provide a copy of the screen, but I am losing a lot of characters. I'm using a baudrate of 115200 so I don't understand why I'm losing so many characters.

idata
Community Manager

Hi,

Yes, please add some screenshots so we could see the output you have. Are you using a virtual machine?

Also, try with different cables, I had a similar issue due to the cables I was using.

Regards,

Charlie

KKier1
Novice

I tried with a bunch of different cables, and I am using a virtual machine. I'm making a LiveBoot USB now to see if that makes any difference. The original post was updated to reflect the screen session

idata
Community Manager

Hi,

If you plug another device through the USB port on the virtual machine, do they work fine?

Let me know the outcome of using a LiveBoot.

After running screen on the VM, do you get another problem with the VM or only the no writing issue? If you get more problems, it could be a memory issue in the VM.

Let me know your updates.

Regards,

-Charlie
KKier1
Novice

Hello,

I have two edisons, and neither seem to work on my computer. Other devices work fine (USB drives, phones, etc.) LiveBoot or VM. I tried using different cables and a usb power supply to no avail.

Something interesting to note was I installed Ubuntu 14.04 on a work computer and managed to get serial communications running, but really weirdly (the text would sometimes not read or write to/from screen).

Thanks,

K

idata
Community Manager

Hi,

Could you run the command uname -a once you entered to screen to see which image the board has?

Have you tried to use another emulator like TeraTerm or a similar one?

Have you tried to install screen again with apt-get, just to see if there is a newer version than the one you currently have?

Also, check with ps if there is another process that may be using the same port, or screen.

On the work computer, do you get the same behavior with both boards?

Regards,

Charlie

KKier1
Novice

I seem to have gotten it to work. I first used a different computer, I don't know what the issue with my laptop was. I also had to use a different mini-breakout board. I think there is something wrong with the UART/Serial usb port on one of my mini-breakout boards

idata
Community Manager

Hi,

I'm glad to know that you were able to use the Terminal Console. If the problem is related with the breakout boards, you can ask for a replacement at the store you got it, and in case the warranty policy has expired you can contact us by opening a ticket: https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/forms/support/maker-support.html

Regards,

Charlie