Intel® Makers
Intel® Edison, Intel® Joule™, Intel® Curie™, Intel® Galileo
Announcements
Welcome - This is a Peer-to-Peer Forum only. Intel has discontinued these products but you may find support from other customers on this Forum
9880 Discussions

Setting system time on Intel Edison

DDang1
Beginner

Hi,

I'm following this post:

And I'm doing something following his guide, instead he set his timezone to Chicago, I set my time zone to GMT+7:

root@newmech:~# rm /etc/localtime

root@newmech:~# ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/Etc/GMT+7 /etc/localtime

root@newmech:~# ls -l /etc/localtime

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 29 Feb 5 06:45 /etc/localtime -> /usr/share/zoneinfo/Etc/GMT+7

Then I reboot and recheck the system time, it's

root@newmech:~# date

Sun Feb 5 06:46:50 GMT+7 2017

The GMT+7 is true, but the time is not true, I'm in Vietnam (GMT+7), and the true time is 20:46 (My computer time)

I've try to sync with www.nist.gov or time.windows.com but the edison cannot connect to these servers.

Am I doing something wrong?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Community Manager

Hi NewMech,

Thanks for your interest in the Intel® Edison Platform.

We appreciate all the information provided. In order to get the correct zone time, please follow the steps you have posted but change this command:

- root@newmech:~# ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/Etc/GMT-7 /etc/localtime

After it you will get the correct time, please try this and let us know your results.

Have a nice day!

Regards,

-Yermi A.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
idata
Community Manager

Hi NewMech,

Thanks for your interest in the Intel® Edison Platform.

We appreciate all the information provided. In order to get the correct zone time, please follow the steps you have posted but change this command:

- root@newmech:~# ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/Etc/GMT-7 /etc/localtime

After it you will get the correct time, please try this and let us know your results.

Have a nice day!

Regards,

-Yermi A.