cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
APres3
Novice

Shutdown and Power On - hardware buttons for Galileo Gen 2

Hi community.

It is fairly straightforward to monitor a pin and issue a system call to shutdown the Galileo Gen 2. I can see the board powers off completely. That's great.

How would I power up the board again without unplugging and plugging power? (I have the POE module installed). I can see the Edison breakout board has a power switch connect to the Quark PWRBTN, but can't see where I can get to that on my Galileo. Admittedly, I haven't tried pressing the reset button (don't have the board handy at the moment).

Would love to be able to do this. One outcome would be knowing how to power back up the device (ie if battery voltage charged to appropriate level, I could have an external circuit drive the PWRBTN line low to power on the device.

Your assistance is appreciated. Thanks for your time in advance.

Anthony

3 Replies
Carlos_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Anthony,

If you use shutdown or poweroff you will not be able to power back the board by pressing the RESET or REBOOT button.

This is the schematic of the Galileo Gen2, http://download.intel.com/support/galileo/sb/galileo_fabh_schem_120514.pdf Schematic

Even though, you can use an external circuit functioning as a button or switch in order to control the power of the board.

Regards,

Charlie

APres3
Novice

Charlie, thanks for your reply.

Just to clarify - I can see from the schematic the power button is "NOT USED" on the quark in the Galileo Gen 2.

When you say you can use an external circuit using a button or switch to control the power, did you have any classy result in mind, or were you thinking more of just a genuine hardware switch?

I am using the POE module so not sure how this would work.

Thanks.

Carlos_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Anthony,

Yes, I had in mind a genuine hardware switch. Not having a straight way to reboot the board after using poweroff or shutdown I suggest to do something like a switch. If you are using the PoE you can also create a switch by using the cable but as you said it won't be very classy.

Regards,

Charlie