Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cjia1
Beginner

Sketch.elf cannot run at system boot-up

Jump to solution

Hi,

I run my Arduino program successfully on Edison + Arduino breakout board. However, I found the program cannot be invoked at system boot-up.

After searching related information on internet, I understand the program is stored in /sketch/sketch.elf. This is systemd service called clloader.service which is responsible for loading it (sketch.elf) when system is booting. I checked process list after system is up (by issuing 'ps | grep sketch'). Sketch.elf is not there. Furthermore, I checked clloader's status and found it reports child process termination.

I also tried blink sketch which is simple example provided by arduino-Intel IDE. The behavior is consistent. So it is not because of my program.

To make sure that it is not caused by anything I made previously, I tried to restore factory default and update to latest release but it did not help.

Header 1

root@edison:~# systemctl status clloader -l

● clloader.service - Daemon to handle arduino sketches

Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/clloader.service; enabled)

Active: active (running) since Fri 2015-11-13 07:43:25 UTC; 8min ago

Main PID: 191 (launcher.sh)

CGroup: /system.slice/clloader.service

├─191 /bin/sh /opt/edison/launcher.sh

└─199 /opt/edison/clloader --escape --binary --zmodem --disable-timeouts

Nov 13 07:43:25 edison systemd[1]: Started Daemon to handle arduino sketches.

Nov 13 07:43:26 edison launcher.sh[191]: Opened /dev/ttyGS0 as inputOpened /dev/ttyGS0 as outputSketch child process started, pid=0202

Nov 13 07:43:26 edison launcher.sh[191]: sigchld signal rxed.. child pid:202 terminated, go back to wait for command ...

Nov 13 07:43:26 edison launcher.sh[191]: critical fault during select errno=4HUP or CHLDTERM Received, Change state to wait for command from host

root@edison:~#

Does anyone meet similar issue before? Do I miss something?

HW: edison board + Arduino breakout board

SW: w_iot_2015.0.028 (arduino-1.5.3-Intel.1.0.4) latest release

1 Solution
Pedro_M_Intel
Employee

Hello lurker0,

This is a known issue with the latest version of the Edison's image. Nevertheless the user AliDouiyek found a way to work around it. Take a look at this thread , you will find his workaround there.

Peter.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Pedro_M_Intel
Employee

Hello lurker0,

This is a known issue with the latest version of the Edison's image. Nevertheless the user AliDouiyek found a way to work around it. Take a look at this thread , you will find his workaround there.

Peter.

View solution in original post

JGuev2
Novice

Please, do not mark as "Correct Answer" until they fix the issue in the image, the workaround is a band aid, it works , but is not a real solution, could you please change the status to helpful only, best regards

JJose21
New Contributor I

Agree. Especially if we consider some steps from the comments of the work around are needed, incuding chmod +x commands.

Also, I see some folks (me included) have solutions that save the files from V146 so that it is not needed to do a full reinstallation if firmware 146 to get the files.

The concern with that is... how do we make sure those files are correct/safe?

I think Intel should provide official files off from an Intel server AND provide HASH verification mechanisms

That would be a "correct workaround."

A correct answer would be to release a 160 firmware that does not have the issue, which I'd consider a major issue.