Intel® Makers
Intel® Edison, Intel® Joule™, Intel® Curie™, Intel® Galileo
Announcements
Welcome - This is a Peer-to-Peer Forum only. Intel has discontinued these products but you may find support from other customers on this Forum
9881 Discussions

Sketch.elf cannot run at system boot-up

cjia1
Beginner

Hi,

I run my Arduino program successfully on Edison + Arduino breakout board. However, I found the program cannot be invoked at system boot-up.

After searching related information on internet, I understand the program is stored in /sketch/sketch.elf. This is systemd service called clloader.service which is responsible for loading it (sketch.elf) when system is booting. I checked process list after system is up (by issuing 'ps | grep sketch'). Sketch.elf is not there. Furthermore, I checked clloader's status and found it reports child process termination.

I also tried blink sketch which is simple example provided by arduino-Intel IDE. The behavior is consistent. So it is not because of my program.

To make sure that it is not caused by anything I made previously, I tried to restore factory default and update to latest release but it did not help.

Header 1

root@edison:~# systemctl status clloader -l

● clloader.service - Daemon to handle arduino sketches

Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/clloader.service; enabled)

Active: active (running) since Fri 2015-11-13 07:43:25 UTC; 8min ago

Main PID: 191 (launcher.sh)

CGroup: /system.slice/clloader.service

├─191 /bin/sh /opt/edison/launcher.sh

└─199 /opt/edison/clloader --escape --binary --zmodem --disable-timeouts

Nov 13 07:43:25 edison systemd[1]: Started Daemon to handle arduino sketches.

Nov 13 07:43:26 edison launcher.sh[191]: Opened /dev/ttyGS0 as inputOpened /dev/ttyGS0 as outputSketch child process started, pid=0202

Nov 13 07:43:26 edison launcher.sh[191]: sigchld signal rxed.. child pid:202 terminated, go back to wait for command ...

Nov 13 07:43:26 edison launcher.sh[191]: critical fault during select errno=4HUP or CHLDTERM Received, Change state to wait for command from host

root@edison:~#

Does anyone meet similar issue before? Do I miss something?

HW: edison board + Arduino breakout board

SW: w_iot_2015.0.028 (arduino-1.5.3-Intel.1.0.4) latest release

1 Solution
Pedro_M_Intel
Employee

Hello lurker0,

This is a known issue with the latest version of the Edison's image. Nevertheless the user AliDouiyek found a way to work around it. Take a look at this thread , you will find his workaround there.

Peter.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Pedro_M_Intel
Employee

Hello lurker0,

This is a known issue with the latest version of the Edison's image. Nevertheless the user AliDouiyek found a way to work around it. Take a look at this thread , you will find his workaround there.

Peter.

JGuev2
Novice

Please, do not mark as "Correct Answer" until they fix the issue in the image, the workaround is a band aid, it works , but is not a real solution, could you please change the status to helpful only, best regards

JJose21
New Contributor I

Agree. Especially if we consider some steps from the comments of the work around are needed, incuding chmod +x commands.

Also, I see some folks (me included) have solutions that save the files from V146 so that it is not needed to do a full reinstallation if firmware 146 to get the files.

The concern with that is... how do we make sure those files are correct/safe?

I think Intel should provide official files off from an Intel server AND provide HASH verification mechanisms

That would be a "correct workaround."

A correct answer would be to release a 160 firmware that does not have the issue, which I'd consider a major issue.