Intel® Makers
Intel® Edison, Intel® Joule™, Intel® Curie™, Intel® Galileo
Announcements
Welcome - This is a Peer-to-Peer Forum only. Intel has discontinued these products but you may find support from other customers on this Forum
9877 Discussions

Someone care to send me a linux image?

JDelo
New Contributor I

I bought the Windows 8.1 stick with the intention of changing it to the Ubuntu OS. Anyone have the Ubuntu version that would care to make a DD image of the drive?

22 Replies
Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hi reaper607,

My understanding is that the Linux* version will be released by end of May so I guess no valid images yet.

Quick note that changing the operating system that originally comes with the unit may void the warranty, see the warranty information here: http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/h77390001_1yr_lmtd_wrnty_compute_stick_int... http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/h77390001_1yr_lmtd_wrnty_compute_stick_int...

Regards,

JDelo
New Contributor I

Yes i have seen the warranty and have dealt with similar ones. This doesn't say that changing the OS voids your warranty from what i read it says that if you somehow damage the stick ( or your OS damages the stick ) its not covered by warranty. It also has "any Product where the protected partitions have been modified.". What exactly constitutes a protected partition? i did see 2 partition from the Linux OS that appeared to be part of the UEFI maybe that is what is referred to here. Anyways im looking to get factory new images ( like we should be able to get from intel ). We should be able to switch between the 2 OS that are hard coded into the bios as supported without voiding any warranty.

I hope to get block level images from someone that can be restored to any stick as if it came straight from the factory essentially restoring any "protected" partitions (assuming these are not related to UEFI in which case your stick is likely dead) along with the recovery partitions.

PZ_
Novice

Changing the OS shouldn't void your warranty, especially when the OS is also shipped with the product like Ubuntu.

Furthermore, I think the 32GB/2GB version should have come with both Win and Linux images available in the recovery partition

-then it would have been easy to switch to either one. But maybe there's a space constraint for that.

At least there should be the option to have the 32GB/2GB version shipped with Linux only!

I understand that the 8GB/1GB model cannot have Win as an OS choice, but the other way around there should be no limitation.

Forcing purchasing a proprietary OS on users just for the sake of harware choice is not cool either.

Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hello All,

In regards to the warranty concern, I believe the warranty statement is clear but your comments are very valid and I am going the take them back to the product team.

When I said that loading a different operating system than the one originally installed by Intel may void the warranty I was referring to the following warranty statement, see here: http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/h77390001_1yr_lmtd_wrnty_compute_stick_int... http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/h77390001_1yr_lmtd_wrnty_compute_stick_int...

On the other hand, due to legal contractual limitations with Microsoft*, Intel is not making the Operating System recovery image available on the web, at least not for now and the only option if the image gets corrupted is to run the recovery options within the service partition, if the service partition is also damaged then the only official option for now is to replace the affected unit. This is also applicable to the Linux* version at launch. If anything here changes then I will come back and provide and update, my intention is to keep the community informed with the official conditions.

Regards,

JDelo
New Contributor I

Taking your comments into consideration i do plan to install Linux anyways onto the stick as was my original intention. As pakeZonite said i wanted the additional disk/memory which did not come as a linux option. rguevara can you find out if Intel will be releasing the linux drivers directly to users? If so can you find out if these will be as per-compiled binaries or as build-able source?

Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hi reaper607,

It is okay if decide to run a different OS. I just wanted to provide the Intel official statement in regards to that. And yes, let me find out about the drivers for Linux and I will get back to this post with an update, it may take some additional time to find out about it because the Linux* version is not out yet.

Regards,

kfchoong
New Contributor II

Hi,

To run Linux on your Windows Compute Stick, you can do the following:

1) Download Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and put in USB thumb drive

2) Enter Compute Stick BIOS to change the Operating System to "Ubuntu 14.04 LTS"

3) Save Changes and Reboot

4) System will boot into USB thumb drive

I managed to install Ubuntu but do take note that Wifi and sound do not work. I am still trying to solve these 2 issues. Other than that, the system looks fine.

JDelo
New Contributor I

I had a similar experience although i could not get the video drivers to work either which means no hardware acceleration.

kfchoong
New Contributor II

How do you check if video acceleration is work? I will check if it is working on my installation.

JDelo
New Contributor I

So went to check on this today but for some reason i cant get my ubuntu image to install where it worked before. Any body get ubuntu installed with the 0022 Bios image?

kfchoong
New Contributor II

I am running on Ubuntu 14.04.1 (desktop) the latest BIOS 0022. So far, besides the Wifi and the Sound, everything seems to be working fine.

JDelo
New Contributor I

Mine just keeps saying no boot device found after installing to the MMC. *GRUMBLES* Live boots fine .. using 14.04.2

kfchoong
New Contributor II

Hmm, my version is 14.04.1, could the problem be with 14.04.2? Let me download 14.04.2 and see if it works.

JDelo
New Contributor I

Let me know what your luck also if you could post what your EFI partition tree looks like that may be helpful. Im able to boot the OS manually through the EFI shell but for some reason not automagicly like i would expect.

kfchoong
New Contributor II

Hi, can you give me some instructions on how to print the EFI partition tree?

JDelo
New Contributor I

This should do

sudo find /boot/efi/
kfchoong
New Contributor II

Ok, here you go (for Ubuntu 14.04.1)

/boot/efi/

/boot/efi/EFI

/boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu

/boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi

/boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi

/boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/MokManager.efi

/boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/grub.cfg

JDelo
New Contributor I

Yea thats what mine looked like as well which is odd. I was able to get it to boot by moving it from ubuntu to BOOT but thats not really the right fix

PLai4
Beginner

I couldn't Enter Compute Stick BIOS to change the Operating System to "Ubuntu 14.04 LTS". The options I got are 1. Windows 64, 2.Windows 32

kfchoong
New Contributor II

May I know what version of BIOS are you currently running?