cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

Supply Voltage Vs Performance

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to find out if there is any performance change with change in the supply voltage for the Edison. I read that if the supply voltage is in the safe range (3.15V - 4.5V), there will be no performance change(Clock frequency). But what is the voltage drops below 3.15V, will the clock frequency go down to zero and edison shuts down or does it keep working at a lower frequency?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi Achopra6,

When the Edison voltage drops under 3.15V, we've noticed that the Edison Board continues working, but it affects some features like the WiFi and Bluetooth functionality.

Hope this information helps and if you have any questions, please let us know.

Regards,

-Yermi

idata
Community Manager

Hi Achopra6,

We would like to know if you have any questions or if you need more help.

Regards,

-Yermi

idata
Community Manager

But what about the clock frequency ? Does it slow down?

idata
Community Manager

Hi Achopra6,

In the Intel Edison, VSYS is the only power input and its voltage range is 3.15V to 4.5V, also the DCIN signal indicates whether the Edison device is being powered from a battery or from an external power, and also sets the voltage level required on VSYS in order to boot. If DCIN is connected to VSYS, the Edison will start to boot when VSYS is above 2.5V for 100ms. This is mentioned in the section 4.12 in this guide http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/edison/sb/edison-module_HG_331189.pdf Intel Edison Compute Module Hardware Guide, but it doesn't say anything about the clock frequency, so my guess would be that the frequency doesn't get affected.

Hope this information helps.

Regards,

-Yermi

idata
Community Manager

Hi,

Let me know if you need some more assistance.

Regards,

-Yermi