cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
YWang92
Novice

The LED DS1 and DS2 keep switching on and off when I power the board

Hi,

I bought a board two days ago. Firstly it worked when I plugged it in my computer (using the two USB, middle one and edged one, DS1 always on and DS2 always off). But when I did Linux it suddenly broke down. And appears the problem that the LED DS1 switches on and off. on Intel website, I found it is because the voltage of power supply is not high enough. But after I changed some other supplies, including using power bank for phones, the problem still remains. So I don't know why it is always keeping setting up and resetting. Can anyone help me with that? Should I return this back and change a new board? Really need your help!

Thank you,

wych

5 Replies
Diego_V_Intel
Employee

Hello wych,

I can see, from your picture, that you are powering the board through the USB Client port. Have you tried using a DC power supply to power the board through the barrel jack?

Regards,

Diego.

Carlos_M_Intel
Employee

Hi wych,

Have you been able to use your board again? Did you try with a power supply?

Regards,

Charlie

YWang92
Novice

Thank you for answering! I have tried to use a 9V battery supply (but the recommendation voltage is 12-15V, and I do not have a proper supply so I use the battery instead right now). The problem still remains

Diego_V_Intel
Employee

Hello wych,

This issue seems to be caused by the power supply that you are using. It doesn't provide enough current for the board to boot and work properly. The recommended power supply is a DC wall adapter. The specs of the one I use with my Edison are 12V@1.25A.

A battery might not be enough to provide power to the Arduino Expansion Board. You can power the board through the USB client port, but make sure the USB source provides enough power. Usually, when the board is powered directly from a USB port of the laptop, you will get issues like the one you described. I use a docking station to power the board through the USB port to make sure there won't be lack of current when the Edison is working.

Regards,

Diego.

YWang92
Novice

Fixed it! Thank you!