Intel® Makers
Intel® Edison, Intel® Joule™, Intel® Curie™, Intel® Galileo
Announcements
Welcome - This is a Peer-to-Peer Forum only. Intel has discontinued these products but you may find support from other customers on this Forum
9868 Discussions

The Power of the OTG

SMA9
Novice

The USB port in the breakout board is able to work as OTG, but it is likely that the OTG cannot output the power according to the schematic of the OTG. Is there anybody know it?

12 Replies
MMich22
New Contributor II

It can output enough power. I used it already in OTG mode, if this does not answer your question maybe you need to be more specific.

SMA9
Novice

It's my problem that I want to use the otg with li-battery. I guess that you use the otg successfully under 7-14 voltages with the jack on the board?

MMich22
New Contributor II

You are right! There is no up-converter on the board. You must use the external 7-14V supply.

PMart13
Valued Contributor II

It has been done. You could look at Dave's Camera project at http://www.emutexlabs.com/project/217-intel-edison-based-dslr-camera-controller EmutexLabs

MMich22
New Contributor II

Just to make it clear, they are using a dc-dc converter in this project. I guess they directly supply the USB slave Device with 5V.

PMart13
Valued Contributor II

The UBB device in that project is the SLR camera, which would have it's own power supply. OTG wants to supply 5V, so he used the dc-dc from the lipo to the Edison to raise the input voltage.

MMich22
New Contributor II

It is not described in detail but I guess they supply the edison and the otg device through 5V of the DC-DC converter. If I would do that, I would solder the supply pins directly to the usb port. This way you would be able to circumvent the need for an higher supply.

Overall it is important that no one feeds the lipo input with other sources than a lipo. This would destroy the breakout board.

Carlos_M_Intel
Employee

Hi SeanMA

Were the last suggestions helpful for you? Do you still have questions about this?

Best Regards;

CMata

SMA9
Novice

Yes, they are both helpful for me, thanks.

SMA9
Novice

Yes, they are both helpful for me, thanks.

MHo9
Beginner

Hey,

I am trying to use Edison to control my DSLR.

Are we saying that if I power via J2 pin with a 3.7 to 5V step-up converter, I can get USB OTG to work with my camera with its own power supply?

According Hardware PDF 2.1.1 USB interface:

2.1.1 USB interface

If you plug a USB micro A connector into it,the breakout board will function as a host.

When you use the Intel®Edison Breakout Board as a host in this manner, you must supply external power via J21 or J22.

The breakout board will convert that voltage to supply 5V to the USB connector.

Note:If you power the breakout board with a battery, it will not supply power as a USB host.

Carlos_M_Intel
Employee

Hi mnhan32,

In order to use the port as Host you will need a power supply, the battery will not be able to power the port pins so will need to power the board using the J21. Using a power supply in J21 you should not need to power the camera by another supply

Regards,

CMata