Intel® Makers
Intel® Edison, Intel® Joule™, Intel® Curie™, Intel® Galileo
Announcements
Welcome - This is a Peer-to-Peer Forum only. Intel has discontinued these products but you may find support from other customers on this Forum
9874 Discussions

Trouble with ssh and scp from Edison to Mac

NHopp
Novice

Hello,

I recently bought an Intel Edison with Arduino breakout board, and today I set it up. The project I have in mind involves transferring text files from the Edison to my macbook air. However, I am having difficulty SSHing and SCPing from Edison to my mac. I can successfully do these two things the opposite way (from my computer to Edison), and I have a little experience with Linux. I have attached an image of the error message I get when attempting to ssh and sip below. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Nick

6 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi,

What image are you using? Remember that in order to use ssh you need to have an IP address and a password assigned. To do this you must complete the setup from configure_edison –setup.

Also, to transfer files from the device to your computer you must use the syntax: scp /file/to/transfer USERNAME@xxx.xxx.x.xxx:/path/to/location where xxx.xxx.x.xxx is the IP address of the device.

There's a very useful guide with tips on how to connect here /docs/DOC-23878 https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-23878

Sergio

NHopp
Novice

Hi Sergio,

I am aware of how to set up edison. I have it set up and it has an IP address. However, I get the errors that I put in my original post. I read online that I might need to install an open-ssh server. I don't think this is the solution since I am able to run the commands. The commands just say they have an invalid argument, and I have not seen this error before when using ssh and scp, and I have yet to find a way to correct it. Additionally, when I connect Edison to a network that requires a password for access, it does not prompt me to enter a password.

Best,

Nick

idata
Community Manager

Are you sure the test.txt file is in the /home/root directory? Are you using the latest image? Are your Edison and your computer on the same network? I also looked online for that error as well and other users have been able to solve it by installing openssh-server.

Give it a try and let us know your results.

Sergio

NHopp
Novice

Hi Sergio,

I think my problems were stemming from the wifi network I was connected to (with both the Edison and my computer). I was using a university campus wireless network which requires a username and password to log into. When I would configure_edison --wifi on the campus network, Edison "connected" without prompting me for a username or password. When on my wireless network at home, I was prompted for a password, and things worked as expected.

Do you know how I can get Edison to work on a network like the campus on that requires a username and password? On the campus network, I was able to ssh to the Edison but once there, I could not do anything with the internet (scp, ftp, wget, etc) and my browser would not load Edison's IP address. So it seems I had a limited connection of some sort.

Best,

Nick

idata
Community Manager

Hi nwhoppe,

Do you still need help with this thread? Have you tried our previous suggestion?

Sergio