cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NHopp
Novice

Trouble with ssh and scp from Edison to Mac

Hello,

I recently bought an Intel Edison with Arduino breakout board, and today I set it up. The project I have in mind involves transferring text files from the Edison to my macbook air. However, I am having difficulty SSHing and SCPing from Edison to my mac. I can successfully do these two things the opposite way (from my computer to Edison), and I have a little experience with Linux. I have attached an image of the error message I get when attempting to ssh and sip below. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Nick

Tags (1)
6 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi,

What image are you using? Remember that in order to use ssh you need to have an IP address and a password assigned. To do this you must complete the setup from configure_edison –setup.

Also, to transfer files from the device to your computer you must use the syntax: scp /file/to/transfer USERNAME@xxx.xxx.x.xxx:/path/to/location where xxx.xxx.x.xxx is the IP address of the device.

There's a very useful guide with tips on how to connect here /docs/DOC-23878 https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-23878

Sergio

NHopp
Novice

Hi Sergio,

I am aware of how to set up edison. I have it set up and it has an IP address. However, I get the errors that I put in my original post. I read online that I might need to install an open-ssh server. I don't think this is the solution since I am able to run the commands. The commands just say they have an invalid argument, and I have not seen this error before when using ssh and scp, and I have yet to find a way to correct it. Additionally, when I connect Edison to a network that requires a password for access, it does not prompt me to enter a password.

Best,

Nick

idata
Community Manager

Are you sure the test.txt file is in the /home/root directory? Are you using the latest image? Are your Edison and your computer on the same network? I also looked online for that error as well and other users have been able to solve it by installing openssh-server.

Give it a try and let us know your results.

Sergio

NHopp
Novice

Hi Sergio,

I think my problems were stemming from the wifi network I was connected to (with both the Edison and my computer). I was using a university campus wireless network which requires a username and password to log into. When I would configure_edison --wifi on the campus network, Edison "connected" without prompting me for a username or password. When on my wireless network at home, I was prompted for a password, and things worked as expected.

Do you know how I can get Edison to work on a network like the campus on that requires a username and password? On the campus network, I was able to ssh to the Edison but once there, I could not do anything with the internet (scp, ftp, wget, etc) and my browser would not load Edison's IP address. So it seems I had a limited connection of some sort.

Best,

Nick

idata
Community Manager

Hi nwhoppe,

Do you still need help with this thread? Have you tried our previous suggestion?

Sergio