cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JTurn12
New Contributor II

Two Bricked Galileos

Hello,

I've been working on a project involving two galileos. One randomly shutdown one day and wouldn't power back on at all (no lights). So i moved the project to the other galileo(which had it's own SD card).

Out of curiousity, I wanted to put the old SD (from the broken galileo) into my other one so that I wouldn't have to reinstall every library/program that I had. Well, I did that, and somehow this SD card managed to brick that galileo as well. No lights, no power nothing..

Any tips to get these back on? It seems odd that the SD card could somehow kill the power entirely on both of these Galileos.

DOH!

10 Replies
asss
Valued Contributor II

Hi,

1. do you use Gen1 or Gen2?

2. do you use the same power adapter for both boards?

BR,

xbolshe

JTurn12
New Contributor II

Both are gen2 and have their own power supplies that came with them as kits.

It appears the SD somehow corrupted the firmware to not booting or leds to light up.

idata
Community Manager

Hi BMEJ,

This seems like a warranty case. Could you please open a ticket following the next link? https://customercare.intel.com/?lang=en-US https://customercare.intel.com/?lang=en-US. We will continue with the support from there, we want to determine if the boards are indeed damaged. It seems odd to me that there's not LED activity at all.

Regards,

Pablo
MBlak2
New Contributor I

Pablo -- I have a similar problem with my first Galileo 2. It worked for about 3 months, then died exactly the same way.

FTinetti
Honored Contributor I

Hi BMEJ,

Just in case: do the Galileos have the same symptoms when booting without SD?

Fernando.

JTurn12
New Contributor II

FGT,

yes. Neither Galileo will power on. Tried both power supplies on each Galileo with and without SD cards and no lights come on at all!

Definitely odd.

Thanks

MBlak2
New Contributor I

I have one Galileo 2 bricked in the same way. I was suspecting it to have burned out, since it runs very hot and I put a Grove shield on it. I was thinking about checking the capacitor or sending it in, if that is an option. I would actually like to experiment with a cluster of Galileo2s, I quite like it and since I have had to invest a lot in Linux assets -- I only lack four Galileo2s to try.

If these boards are burning out, that is definitely a no-go on investing that much money in them. Maybe a fan shield?

FTinetti
Honored Contributor I

jinzai wrote:

I would actually like to experiment with a cluster of Galileo2s,

I'm curious, what do you plan to do with a cluster of Galileos?

Fernando.

MBlak2
New Contributor I

At first, cooperative data collection and analysis. I think that this type of microcontroller is good for vehicles that collect data, but the process of creating a Linux cluster starts off with typical parallel processing tasks, not autonomous and cooperative activities.

Oh, and the SETI data processing -- benchmarks of traditional algorithms...etc.

How about a space probe that consisted of Galileo 2?

Pablo_M_Intel
Employee

Hi jinzai,

Did you already open a ticket following the link that we shared? It sounds like it is the same issue as BMEJ.

Regards,

Pablo