Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AFont3
Beginner

UART and Wi-Fi transmission speed

Jump to solution

Hello,

I would like to know the maximum achievable transmission speed through the UART port and Wi-Fi.

Can you link some documentations about these topics?

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
FerryT
Valued Contributor I

We have been experimenting with the UART and were achieving 2Mb/sec. I should be possible to get a higher baud rate, but it will depend on the transceiver and cable length as well (RS232, RS485, we were using short cables and the CMOS levels directly from the Edison). Also you need a protocol and this will add overhead.

With Wifi we got 30Mb/sec measured with iperf, which already includes TCP/IP overhead. This will also depend on the congestion of the Wifi channels, the router and the distance.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello FNT,

I recommend you to check the Edison Hardware Guide in the following link: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005808.html. Check section 3.2 for information about the Wi-Fi module and section 4.4 for information about the UART interface.

Regards,

Diego
AFont3
Beginner

Hi Diego,

thanks a lot for your answer.

I have also another question: is there a guide which shows how to establish a peer to peer connection between two intel Edison boards without host PCs?

Sorry, but I'm new in this field.

Thanks again for your help!

idata
Community Manager

Hi FNT,

I recommend you to check the documentation for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth available in the following links. I think those are the documents you're looking for:Hope that helps you.

Regards,

-Diego
FerryT
Valued Contributor I

We have been experimenting with the UART and were achieving 2Mb/sec. I should be possible to get a higher baud rate, but it will depend on the transceiver and cable length as well (RS232, RS485, we were using short cables and the CMOS levels directly from the Edison). Also you need a protocol and this will add overhead.

With Wifi we got 30Mb/sec measured with iperf, which already includes TCP/IP overhead. This will also depend on the congestion of the Wifi channels, the router and the distance.

View solution in original post

AFont3
Beginner

Thank you very much for the help!