Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mweal1
New Contributor III

USB aware terminal emulator

I normally connect to my edison through the FTDI USB serial port via putty. One of the PITA problems with this is that every time I disconnect the serial port USB cable putty stops and I have to re-setup the connection. This is expected and happens with most (all?) terminal emulators. Does anyone know of a terminal emulator that has the smarts to know it is a USB connection and automatically re-establish the connection when the USB cable is plugged back in?

6 Replies
Sergio_A_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I don't know of any terminal emulators that just work as you expect however there is a Putty shortcut that you might find useful. Go to Putty and select the "Serial" Option. Type in the Serial Line and the Speed. Under the "Saved Sessions" option, type the name you want for your session and click save. This will save your session and it will be easier and faster to login to your device. Once you do this every time you open Putty just select the session, click Load and Open. Other way to open the session is to right-click on the Putty shortcut and select the session you want to open.

Sergio

mweal1
New Contributor III

Thanks, that's basically what I've been doing, but I'm plugging into so many things.... some times I long for the days when every thing was RS232

asss
Valued Contributor II

Hi,

try to use Kitty - Putty fork with a reconnection possibility.

It has a possibility to autoconnect to a USB/Serial port too.

http://www.9bis.net/kitty/ http://www.9bis.net/kitty/

BR,

xbolshe

mweal1
New Contributor III

oohhh, so close.... it pops up with an error window (like putty) "Unable to open Connection to Com15 Unable to open Serial Port" when the port is disconnected, but if the error window is closed (after reconnecting the USB port) it reconnects. Tried Putty tray the same thing.

Sergio_A_Intel
Employee

Do you have any updates on this thread, were you able to get pass the error message and reconnect automatically?

Sergio

mweal1
New Contributor III

Sorry no luck, still looking. I got busy this week and have not had much chance to do more looking. Hope to get back to it next week.