I used Windows ADK for Windows 10, version 1607, Windows 10 IoT Core Insider Preview - Build 15051 Intel Joule, and Intel's JouleInstaller.cmd
to make a bootable WinPE USB stick. I tested the stick on my Laptop running Windows 10 version 1607 (OS Build 14393.1066), and it boots to Command line window.
I flashed the Intel Joule with the latest BIOS, Joule-Firmware-2017-03-20-1D1-Public.
I put the bootable USB stick in a powered USB hub, emptied uUSB port, and followed the instructions to change the Boot OS to Windows, and boot from EFI USB device.
But the Joule keep boot to the Linux on the eMMC. Sometimes it simply stuck in the middle of booting process. Never boot to WinPE. Please advise.
1. I use Joule 570x Developer Kit. S/N:G80771IW642025C.
2. No jumper switches on the "eMMC Boot" and "SDCard Boot", all open.
3. I used all the downloads from Microsoft and Intel website as of 5/1/2017.
4. I noticed that when booting, no LED lights near GIO0-3 are ON. Only a short flash when powered on.
Thanks for your interest in the Intel® Joule™ Platform.
I'm sorry to hear that you can't boot Windows IoT in your Joule. I just installed the Windows Image following the steps on this guide https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/iot/Docs/GetStarted/joule/GetStartedStep1.htm Step 1 of 4 - Get the tools | Windows IoT , unfortunately I didn't encounter any errors. Did you have any errors while performing the steps in https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/iot/Docs/GetStarted/joule/GetStartedStep1.htm Step 1 of 4 - Get the tools | Windows IoT ?
Also, please pay attention to the steps 2 and 6 in the "Update the Joule firmware" section:
2. If installed, remove the SD card from the Joule.
6. Save the changes with F4 and allow the system to restart.
We will be waiting for your reply, have a nice day!
I'm glad to know that you solve the issue by your own! And thanks for sharing your experience, it might be useful to other users experimenting with the Windows IoT on their Intel® Joule™.
Have a great day!