Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AAmar2
New Contributor I

Unable to connect to intel galileo via router using an ethernet cable.

Hi I am Amardeep and I have been using galileo gen2 for quite some time now. Couple of months back,when I first started using gal gen2,I followed all the steps prescribed in intel's website pertaining to setting up bigger linux image in it. I used to nmap 192.168.0.* to find the ip of the galileo attached to my tp link router. After finding the ip assigned to gal gen2 by my router,i then used to ssh into it from my terminal. This procedure used to work flawlessly till yesterday. Now nmap 192.168.0.* is not showing gal gen2. I tried fing as well--but with no results! I took my sd card out and re-flashed the OS image once again and inserted it back. It worked(i.e I could find the ip assigned to it by my router using fing) for the first time after re flashing the OS image and when i powered it off and restarted it again the same issue appeared-- i.e unable to find ip assigned to it by the router.

I would like to point out that gal gen2 is working fine with FTDI-to-USB converter.

I think there is some problem with the way it connects to router. Kindly help!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
50 Replies
FTinetti
Honored Contributor I

Hi Amardeep,

Given that

I would like to point out that gal gen2 is working fine with FTDI-to-USB converter.

open a serial terminal and use ifconfig to see the IP given to your Intel Galileo Gen2. In case you always need to know the IP I think you'll need to set a fixed IP address, which is simple with an Arduino sketch. Actually, it will depend on many choices you made for your development, such as:

a) Yocto image (either EGLIBC-based image-"the standard image" or uClibc-based image).

b) Arduino, XKD, etc. IDE.

HTH,

Fernando.

AAmar2
New Contributor I

Hi i ran ifconfig while galileo connected to my laptop using a ftdi-usb converted and this is what i found.Kindly check the screenshot.it seems the ip is 127.0.0.1

AAmar2
New Contributor I

Now my question is how do i set a permanent ip to my gal gen 2 using sketch? Kindly share the sketch. Secondly and most importantly how will I be able to connect the board to my router again using ethernet cable? I really need to hook it to my router so that i can ssh into it from other devices connected to my router.Please help!

AAmar2
New Contributor I

Now my question is how do i set a permanent ip to my gal gen 2 using sketch? Kindly share the sketch. Secondly and most importantly how will I be able to connect the board to my router again using ethernet cable? I really need to hook it to my router so that i can ssh into it from other devices connected to my router.Please help

AAmar2
New Contributor I

I think the screenshot I sent you is of native linux that comes alongwith intel galileo gen2. I dont know why it is not working with the linux image contained in the sd card

FTinetti
Honored Contributor I

mishra007 wrote:

I think the screenshot I sent you is of native linux that comes alongwith intel galileo gen2. I dont know why it is not working with the linux image contained in the sd card

The easiest way of verifying if your Intel Galileo Gen2 is booting from the SD card or from Linux in the firmware is taking a look at the screen shown at startup, they sould be different. Boot your card without SD and the serial console and take a screenshot. Then, boot your card with the SD and take a screenshot shown at startup, and compare both. Just for documentation, please send both screenshots. There have been several reports about SD cards not reconized, those problems have been solved by using a brand new class 10 SD card (2-32 GB).

Did you upgrade your firmware in your Intel Galileo Gen2?

What is the Linux image you are using?

HTH,

Fernando.

AAmar2
New Contributor I

The thing is ,it is not booting off a sd card! The reason why I can say the linux version whose screenshot I sent you is native linux that comes shipped along with intel galileo gen 2 is because it failed to identify python command. While entering "python" in the terminal it threw some error.Had it been the bigger linux,it would have recognized "python" command and opened an interactive terminal for the same. As for the image i use iot-devkit-prof-dev-image-galileo-20160606.direct -- downloaded directly from intel's website.

And no i dont think i upgraded my firmware. Can you kindly help me out with that one please?I really need to get it working!
AAmar2
New Contributor I

And yes i bought a new sd card 4 hrs back and flashed the image in it and tried again--but with no luck!...:(

FTinetti
Honored Contributor I

mishra007 wrote:

And no i dont think i upgraded my firmware. Can you kindly help me out with that one please?I really need to get it working!

I don't know why the firmware upgrade instructions are not so visible at Intel Galileo site/s... and I don't know if this is directly related to the boot problem, but I do know you'll need the upgraded firmware in order to run sketches (just like the one to set a fixed IP address). Follow the instructions at

https://software.intel.com/en-us/updating-firmware-for-arduino-mac-linux IoT - Updating firmware for Arduino on a system with Mac* OS X* or Linux* | Intel® Software

and take into account that in this process

a) Your Intel Galileo Gen2 card should not use the SD card.

b) You will need a USB-micro USB cable. It's usually suggested that you do not use: USB hubs, USB 3.0 ports, USB extension cords.

I've made this proces mostly on Windows, but I think in Linux should be easier.

HTH,

Fernando.

FTinetti
Honored Contributor I

mishra007 wrote:

And yes i bought a new sd card 4 hrs back and flashed the image in it and tried again--but with no luck!...:(

How did you set the SD card in order to boot your Intel Galileo Gen2? Take into account you should follow the instructions at

https://software.intel.com/en-us/get-started-galileo-linux-step1 IoT - Step 1: Make a bootable micro SD card | Intel® Software

for the Linux OS.

Fernando.

AAmar2
New Contributor I

Hi fgt! I can run sketches on my galileo. I dont think thats the issue here. I connected it to my linux laptop using an usb cable and uploaded the simple blink code and it was working perfectly! But the only problem is,it is not booting the bigger linux image from sd card...:(

AAmar2
New Contributor I

Yes i followed these very instructions only

1)I ran -- sudo mkdosfs /dev/sdb1 -F32

2) sudo dd if= of=/dev/sd1 bs=3M conv=fsync

But unfortunately i dont know why but after flashing the sd card with the image of iot i am unable to mount it back. It displays the following error-

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1,missing codepage or helper program, or other error

In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try

dmesg | tail or so.

is there any graphical tool to make my sd card bootable with that iot file?

AAmar2
New Contributor I

FTinetti
Honored Contributor I

mishra007 wrote:

Hi fgt! I can run sketches on my galileo. I dont think thats the issue here. I connected it to my linux laptop using an usb cable and uploaded the simple blink code and it was working perfectly!

Fine, then the firmware is not the problem.

Fernando.

AAmar2
New Contributor I

The thing is ,i can not "view" the contents of my sd card. I cant mount it either. I doubt if it was properly flashed .Did you see the screenshot that I just uploaded?

FTinetti
Honored Contributor I

mishra007 wrote:

is there any graphical tool to make my sd card bootable with that iot file?

Maybe we are not looking at the same URL (https://software.intel.com/en-us/get-started-galileo-linux-step1 IoT - Step 1: Make a bootable micro SD card | Intel® Software )... section

Format your card

describes the usage of a Linux graphical tool.

Fernando.

FTinetti
Honored Contributor I

mishra007 wrote:

The thing is ,i can not "view" the contents of my sd card. I cant mount it either. I doubt if it was properly flashed .Did you see the screenshot that I just uploaded?

hmmm... I'm lost...

Please use the "quote previous message" button to include the text to which you are replying to, I do not know what you are talking about right now

Fernando.

AAmar2
New Contributor I

I am sorry I couldnt find that option-"quote previous message". I said,after formating my sd card and flashing iot image into it,i cant view the contents of it when i re-mount it. Besides when i try to re-mount the sd card(/dev/sdb1) it throws something that I have already posted back in my screenshot.FGT

FTinetti
Honored Contributor I

mishra007 wrote:

I am sorry I couldnt find that option-"quote previous message".

When you use the "Reply" button:

Now, to include the text to which you are repying to:

HTH,

Fernando.

FTinetti
Honored Contributor I

mishra007 wrote:

I said,after formating my sd card and flashing iot image into it,i cant view the contents of it when i re-mount it. Besides when i try to re-mount the sd card(/dev/sdb1) it throws something that I have already posted back in my screenshot. FGT

Please follow this step-by-step guideline:

a) remove every SD card

b) open a terminal

c) issue the command

sudo df

d) Take a screenshot (make sure that all command output is included in the picture)

e) issue the command

sudo fdisk -l

f) Take a screenshot (make sure that all command output is included in the picture)

g) Insert the SD card

h) issue the command

sudo df

i) Take a screenshot (make sure that all command output is included in the picture)

j) issue the command

sudo fdisk -l

k) Take a screenshot (make sure that all command output is included in the picture)

And reply to this post including the 4 screenshots.

Fernando.