Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

Unable to flash edison correctly. Please help.

Jump to solution

I run (on my 2017 macbookpro)

./flashall.sh

And the result of that is:

21:27 $ ./flashall.sh

Using U-Boot target: edison-blankcdc

Now waiting for dfu device 8087:0a99

Please plug and reboot the board

dfu-util: Device has DFU interface, but has no DFU functional descriptor

Flashing IFWI

Flashing U-Boot

Flashing U-Boot Environment

Flashing U-Boot Environment Backup

Rebooting to apply partition changes

Now waiting for dfu device 8087:0a99

Flashing boot partition (kernel)

Flashing rootfs, (it can take up to 5 minutes... Please be patient)

Rebooting

U-boot & Kernel System Flash Success...

Your board needs to reboot to complete the flashing procedure, please do not unplug it for 2 minutes.

But I still can't configure the board, or connect to it over serial.

(I have successfully flashed two others using the same firmware, but this one's got something against me.)

How can I fix this edison on my Mac. The --recovery option is unavailable on mac's (WTF were they thinking...)

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Community Manager

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out.

I'm sorry to hear you are getting this issue with your board. Could you please double check the steps stated here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/getting-started-troubleshooting-edison-for-linux Troubleshooting and Tips under "The setup tool is not detecting my board"? Additionally, I would like to know if you have installed Homebrew, dfu-util, coreutils, and gnu-getopt as it is indicated here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/flashing-firmware-on-your-intel-edison-board-mac-os-x Flashing the OS Image on your Board with Mac* OS X*.

Moreover, in order to set up the serial terminal with a Mac* OS X*, check if both USB ports are recognized in your PC using ls /dev/cu.usb* command. The output should look similar to this one:
  • /dev/cu.usbmodem1413 OTG port
  • /dev/cu.usbserial-A502LRS6 Serial port

So you can connect to the USB serial device using the terminal screen utility by entering this command: screen /dev/xx.usbserial-XXXXXXXX 115200 –L. Please be sure to use the serial device which contains cu.usbserial. For more details refer to: https://software.intel.com/en-us/setting-up-serial-terminal-on-system-with-mac-os-x Setting up a Serial Terminal with Mac* OS X*.

Hope you find this information useful.

Regards,

-Yermi A.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DDixo2
New Contributor I

I had this issue too, though it is working now. if you can connect through putty I would recommend just logging in and typing "reboot" to properly reset your edison and hitting enter, it doesn't always work but it is worth trying.

idata
Community Manager

I tried that. But I can't connect to the edison:

08:55 $ ls /dev/cu*

cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port cu.lpss-serial2

cu.lpss-serial1 cu.usbmodem1413

08:55 $ screen /dev/cu.usbmodem1413 115200 -L

The terminal window running 'screen' just stays blank with a cursor blinking in the top left corner....

The board also hasn't got WiFi configured, so ssh is out of the question.

P.s. The 'Edison' volume is mounted (and empty), so the Edison has booted up.

idata
Community Manager

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out.

I'm sorry to hear you are getting this issue with your board. Could you please double check the steps stated here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/getting-started-troubleshooting-edison-for-linux Troubleshooting and Tips under "The setup tool is not detecting my board"? Additionally, I would like to know if you have installed Homebrew, dfu-util, coreutils, and gnu-getopt as it is indicated here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/flashing-firmware-on-your-intel-edison-board-mac-os-x Flashing the OS Image on your Board with Mac* OS X*.

Moreover, in order to set up the serial terminal with a Mac* OS X*, check if both USB ports are recognized in your PC using ls /dev/cu.usb* command. The output should look similar to this one:
  • /dev/cu.usbmodem1413 OTG port
  • /dev/cu.usbserial-A502LRS6 Serial port

So you can connect to the USB serial device using the terminal screen utility by entering this command: screen /dev/xx.usbserial-XXXXXXXX 115200 –L. Please be sure to use the serial device which contains cu.usbserial. For more details refer to: https://software.intel.com/en-us/setting-up-serial-terminal-on-system-with-mac-os-x Setting up a Serial Terminal with Mac* OS X*.

Hope you find this information useful.

Regards,

-Yermi A.

View solution in original post

idata
Community Manager

I have only 1 USB port on my macbook pro....

But I have been able to connect to my board by supplying power from a USB power to the OTB port, and connecting the usb from my mac to the CONSOLE port.

After connecting, I was able to run do_ota in boot mode and use configure-edison --setup to set it all up.

It would have saved me a lot of time if it was explained why I should hook up a USB cable which each port.....

Thnx, I now have all three Edisons up & running !!