Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AAndr30
Beginner

Unable to ssh into Edison running Poky 1.7.3

I'm unable to SSH into a newly flashed Edison.

According to /etc/version I'm running build 201606061707 of the OS.

I'm trying to connect from a Mac running 10.11.6

I've searched through numerous posts on here and tried all the solutions given.

I've re-flashed the device and that made no difference.

I can connect via screen -L /dev/cu.usbserial* 115200 -L

The password has been set for SSH.

ifconfig returns the following:

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr fc:c2:de:3e:46:57

inet addr:192.168.1.13 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX packets:83 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:151 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:8867 (8.6 KiB) TX bytes:19721 (19.2 KiB)

If I ssh root@192.168.1.13 times out.

If I telnet 192.168.1.13 it times out.

If I ping 192.168.1.13 it times out.

From the Edison I can connect to the internet no problem.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello xoverto,

Thank you for interest in the Intel® Edison Breakout Board.

Could you please follow the step-by-step provided here https://software.intel.com/en-us/get-started-edison-osx-step2 (specially the Set a Password and Enable SSH section), and if you find an error message send us an image. Make sure that your Mac and the Edison are in the same Wi-Fi network.

Also, since you searched numerous post and tried different solutions, could you please tell me what kind of troubleshooting have you tried? That may give us additional information to try and solve the issues you are experiencing.

If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

Andres
AAndr30
Beginner

I've already tried the steps in the step-by-step provided in the link. That works correctly with no errors and the ssh password is set. I use the password when logging in as root via screen.

The computer and board are on the same wifi network.

Both of the USB ports on the board are connected to the computer.

the troubleshooting I've tried is as follows:

I've tried reflashing the board and it makes no difference.

pinging times out

ssh times out

telnet to port 22 times out

when connected via screen I can ssh from the shell back into itself so I know ssh service is running.

idata
Community Manager

Hello xoverto,

I'm aware that you have checked several threads in this community, could you tell me if you have tried the method suggested by Richard_H in https://communities.intel.com/thread/62536 https://communities.intel.com/thread/62536? Also, please check the recommendations mentioned by JPMontero_Intel in the same thread.

I'll be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Andres
AAndr30
Beginner

Yes I've tried commenting out the USB0 bind statement and it made no difference.

I'm using terminal on OS X not PuTTY on Windows so I'm not getting the security alert message.

the board cannot be pinged as it times out

The IP address has been verified using ifconfig as stated in my initial post.

I've now also tried it on completely different wifi setup at another location and still have the same problem.

The XDK IDE can connect to the device to upload and run code but the SSH connection via the IDE fails to connect in the same way as using SSH via terminal.

idata
Community Manager

Hello xoverto,

I understand that you have tried different solutions, so I think I'll be needing more time to come up with information that you may find useful.

You said you tried a completely different Wi-Fi setup, have you tried a different PC/Mac? That may help establish if the issue is software related or hardware related.

Regards,

Andres
idata
Community Manager

Hello xoverto,

I was wondering if you had the chance to try to SSH into Edison with another PC/Mac.

If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to contact us through this community.

Regards,

Andres
AAndr30
Beginner

Hello,

I've just tried it with a Windows 10 laptop and still have the same issue.

The Edison is connecting to the WiFi correctly as I can ping Google from the serial connection.

idata
Community Manager

Hello xoverto,

I understand that the issue persists even when using a Windows 10 laptop. I'll keep investigating, and as soon as I have relevant information, I'll post it here.

Thank you for your patience.

Regards,

Andres
idata
Community Manager

Hello xoverto,

We tried to reproduce your setup in order to see if we experienced the same issue. We were able to SSH to an Edison running the latest image (201606061707), with a MacOS version 10.12.2.

We had to set the password with the "configure_edison --password" command, and connected the Edison to the same wireless network as the Mac.

Please make sure there isn't a firewall preventing you from using SSH and ping. Double check that all devices within your network can ping each other.

Also, if your Mac is connected to ypur network via wired connection, double check the router settings and see if there isn't a "Wireless Isolation" option enabled, as it could be causing the issue.

I'll be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Andres
idata
Community Manager

Hello xoverto,

I was wondering if you had the chance to check the suggestions from the previous post.

Regards,

Andres