Intel® Makers
Intel® Edison, Intel® Joule™, Intel® Curie™, Intel® Galileo
Announcements
Welcome - This is a Peer-to-Peer Forum only. Intel has discontinued these products but you may find support from other customers on this Forum
9880 Discussions

Unexpected power from U1 on arduino breakout board

VDerg
Beginner

I just received a kit with Intel Edison and Arduino breakout board.

I have first attempted to power it with a 9V 800mA adapter. The board booted and I was able to flash the firmware, etc.

However, I have noticed that the switching regulator was very hot - 56C. Then I checked the voltages and found that the bus marked as "5V" on the schematic actually had 6.45V.

Since I needed 5V or below for my project, I tried to power the board using USB bus from a USB battery module. This works, the board boots but now the "5V" bus has only 4.5V. Checking the voltage at the USB port gives 4.88V - well within spec.

All configuration is standard - I have not changed anything besides fastening Edison to the Arduino breakout board and applying power.

Questions:

* should U1 heat up that much ? It is above pain threshold (55C).

* should we see 6.45V voltages on "5V" bus ? They seem to be close to tolerance for ICs on the board.

* I originally though to use 12V power - this is within specs, but if this nudges 6.45V higher I am afraid some ICs can be damaged.

Suggestions are welcome !

thank you

Vladimir Dergachev

1 Solution
Diego_V_Intel
Employee

Hi volodya,

I'd say that there is something wrong with the voltage regulator. I have never noticed an increase in temperature while using the board, and I have never gotten a value around 6.45V on the 5V bus. I recommend you to submit a warranty ticket to receive further help from the Warranty Team. Use the following form to submit the ticket: http://www.intel.com/support/mailform/maker/edisonwarrantyemail.htm Intel Support

Regards,

Diego

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Diego_V_Intel
Employee

Hi volodya,

I'd say that there is something wrong with the voltage regulator. I have never noticed an increase in temperature while using the board, and I have never gotten a value around 6.45V on the 5V bus. I recommend you to submit a warranty ticket to receive further help from the Warranty Team. Use the following form to submit the ticket: http://www.intel.com/support/mailform/maker/edisonwarrantyemail.htm Intel Support

Regards,

Diego