Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jet
Beginner

Uniform sampling with galileo generation 2 board. Is it possible?

Jump to solution

Hi community,

I am using galileo gen 2 board and i would like capture analog and digital values every 1ms with uniform sampling. Is it possible? What is max freq for sampling analog and digital signals?

Every hint is appreciated.

Thanks​

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Luis_at_Intel

Hi @jet​ ,

Thanks for reaching out, taking a look at your question I don't think uniform sampling is possible with the Galileo Gen 2 board. The reason behind is that an Arduino sketch (or any C, C++, python, java, etc. program) on Galileo is simply an executable running with normal priority. The timing/resources therefore are not allocated 100% to that specific task, as there are many other things running on the background (Galileo runs on embedded Linux). I’m sure you’d see time discrepancies on the input/output signals of the board and they would be inconsistent.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

@Luis_at_Intel​ 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Luis_at_Intel

Hi @jet​ ,

Thanks for reaching out, taking a look at your question I don't think uniform sampling is possible with the Galileo Gen 2 board. The reason behind is that an Arduino sketch (or any C, C++, python, java, etc. program) on Galileo is simply an executable running with normal priority. The timing/resources therefore are not allocated 100% to that specific task, as there are many other things running on the background (Galileo runs on embedded Linux). I’m sure you’d see time discrepancies on the input/output signals of the board and they would be inconsistent.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

@Luis_at_Intel​ 

View solution in original post

jet
Beginner

Hi Luis,

Thank for your answer.

I understand the ​situation and Galileo fetures.

i have just two questions. Is it possible to capture data (digital and analog) at 1khz frequency? What is the limit?

Is there any way to hold uniform sampling for at least 10 seconds from data acquisition trigger or it is a total random behaviour? For instance, is it possible to go up the priority or maybe install a linux real time version?

Thanks in advance

Luis_at_Intel

Hi @jet​ ,

I believe it should be possible to capture data at 1KHz frequency, but I am uncertain as to what that limit is. We have seen in the past reported by other customers that there are some GPIOs on the Intel(R) Edison board that are faster/slower than others, but I don't have accurate information as to which PINs and if it is the same behavior in the Galileo board.

As far as your second question goes, I am not sure if the sampling can hold for at least 10 seconds but it is definitely something that you can try by changing the priority to the running process. I strongly believe that it would end up being random but you can still try and let the community know your results. You can take a look at https://www.nixtutor.com/linux/changing-priority-on-linux-processes/ on how you can change the priority on a process. I am not sure if there are any LinuxRT distros that work on this board, as Yocto is the only supported OS. Hope you find this information helpful.

Regards,

@Luis_at_Intel​