cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

[Update] Galileo Gentoo Linux dd-Image freely available - 08-2016

Dear everybody,

some time ago, I managed to get an Intel Galileo board to boot Gentoo Linux and have DHCP, SSH and GPIO (all io ports!) up and running. I cross-compiled the image as a "arch=i486" to avoid any segmentation faults with libpthread as observed in i586-like builds of other Linux images (e.g., Debian). A major advantage of Gentoo as everything is build/compiled in accordance with the desired architecture. I compiled my own Clanton/Galileo The image uses a patched Vanilla Kernel in Version 3.19.2 including support for Swap partitions and all Galileo specific features (GPIO...).

GCC version is 4.9.3, Python is available in version 2.7.10, 3.4.3. I also included a tiny LED-blink example in the default user's home directory, which was compiled on the Galileo board itself and gets the onboard LED blinking, yay!

I just finished uploading the dd-gziped image to one of the servers at our university and made that freely available:

https://download.mi.hs-heilbronn.de/galileo/galileo-gentoo-4GB-GPIO-kernel-3.19.2-gcc4.9.3-20160805.... https://download.mi.hs-heilbronn.de/galileo/galileo-gentoo-4GB-GPIO-kernel-3.19.2-gcc4.9.3-20160805....

md5sum of the above file should match: 570a966d3dabb0007c20d120bce03925

The image can be copied over to any >4GB microSD card like so:

gunzip -c galileo-gentoo-4GB-GPIO-kernel-3.19.2-gcc4.9.3-20160805.img.gz | dd of=/dev/ bs=10m

Login over SSH (I did not test serial console):

gentoo/gentoo4ever

root/

CHANGELOG:

August

- upgraded to gcc 4.9.3

- updated openssl to 1.0.2h

- latest updates as in Gentoo's Portage tree (date: 2016-08-05)

- shrinked image size by using "zerofree" to wipe out unused bytes from the image

Oktober

- changed to newer kernel 3.19.2 (patched/built from vanilla sources) - provided by xbolshe, credits

- newer kernel gives much better hardware support, especially on mini-PCIe cards (WiFi, bluetooth and so on...)

- fixed a DHCP issue, which caused eth0 device not to be usable and thus ntp-date also failed to set the system time at boot time

- switched system localization from de_DE.UTF-8 to more international en_US.UTF-8

- shrinked image size by using "zerofree" to wipe out unused bytes from the image

- latest updates as in Gentoo's Portage tree (date: 2015-10-15)

- hint:

nodeJS is NOT integrated, as it won't run (and: compile) due to missing SSE2 extension in quark soc

September

- updated openssl to 1.0.2d

- added "htop" system monitor

- latest updates as in Gentoo's Portage tree (date: 2015-09-22)

June

- updated openssl to 1.0.1m

- latest updates as in Gentoo's Portage tree (date: 2015-06-01)

- various other system (security) fixes

November

- compiled and installed a non-Yocto kernel for the Galileo board - based on official vanilla sources in version 3.8.13 taken from http://www.kernel.org/ http://www.kernel.org

- enabled support for SWAP partitions (finally!) in the new kernel

- enabled 1-wire library as a kernel module to support sensors based on the 1-Wire protocol, e.g., D18B20 temperature sensor - not possible with 3.8.7 yocto kernels

- added some more cryptographic modules (md5, aes, ripe...) - not possible with 3.8.7 yocto kernels

- added a 256MB swap partition to support memory hungry compile operations - not possible with 3.8.7 yocto kernels

- upgraded glibc to version 2.19 (before 2.17)

- updated openssl to 1.0.1j

October

- fixed critical bash issues - including latest security patches by Gentoo

- added support for serial console as proposed by Kazu-Zamasu

July

- added "distcc" support to help compilation processes from other hosts

- latest updates (openssl,...) as in Gentoo's Portage tree (date: 2014-07-21)

Some interesting results:

The memory footprint: around 28 to 30 MB used after system boot only!

The openssl speed benchmark performs slightly faster than De...

45 Replies
Highlighted
Novice

This is why I explicitly wrote: "intel_cln_gip" - this driver was present in /lib/modules/3.8.13/... The driver "intel_qrk_gip" is still present and is autoloaded anyway - don't worry. The old version of that module was still referenced in the boot process via /etc/conf.d/modules and caused a Failed to load... error message, thus it is only "cleanup" of things that did not work from the previous kernel version.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi

I know you're in the process of building a release - but would you be able to point me at a git repo or kernel patch somewhere that you guys are using as the basis of the work? I'd really like to upgrade to a later kernel. But... the intel patches are incredibly out of date, and involve lots of hacking. If you've done that already and could make the patch available I'd be incredibly pleased.

Thanks hugely!

Oskar

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi everybody (especially: xbolsheBorisKourt),

building nodeJS is not that easy... on that hardware platform. There is an issue at compile time which gives me:

# Fatal error in ../deps/v8/src/ia32/assembler-ia32.cc, line 54

# CHECK(cpu.has_sse2()) failed

Sadly, if built on another machine/VM and just copied to a galileo board, you would get these SSE2 checks crashes at runtime of your programs as well.

Issueing "cat /proc/cpuinfo" gives:

flags : fpu vme pse tsc msr pae cx8 apic pbe nx smep

Question:

Anyone got some ideas? Find a workaround or skip nodeJS integration for the October release of my dd-Image?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

That is the error that I have already mentioned, and the one barrier to node integration. The lovely people on the Gentoo forum were not very interested in getting past the hardware block ether.

Thus my question from before: how did Intel create the official Node integration/releases for the Galileo. As I can use it on their official images (but not much else )

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Just uploaded/released the October version of the dd-Image. See first page for URL and notes/hints on changes. Feedback welcome!

oskarpearson - The patch set should be made available by @xbolshe, maybe it will be attached here or via a URL-post in this thread.

Best

mawiesne

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi,

Is there a way to boot Gentoo image from USB-SATA drive with real partitions? (Galileo Gen 2 board)

0 Kudos