Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager

Update module for 0bda:8153 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

Hello,

How can I update the module R8152.ko that is found on the linux image so that I can connect the ethernet adapter (identified as 0bda:8153 by lsusb)? I want to add ethernet to the intel edison board since the wifi where I want to use it is not very reliable.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi aaron.guarjardo,

Thanks for your interest in the Intel Edison Platform.

Before we start given any suggestions I have a couple of questions for you:

1) What image are you using?

2) Have you try any command for updating the R8152.ko?

I also found this discussion in the Linux community (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/how-to-determine-if-a-driver-is-installed-in-... How to determine if a driver is installed in the kernel aka Nonfunctional USB Gigabit ), where a customer uses "opkg install kernel-module-r8152". Maybe it will be useful to you.

I will be waiting for your reply, have a nice day!

Best Regards,

-Jose.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello,

1. I'm using image with date 201606061707

2. The only program I've tried is compiling the source for the driver from http://www.realtek.com.tw/ Realtek but it failed since the package wants the kernel sources.

I have the module installed but it is not updated since it doesn't include the driver for 8153, just 8152 and it doesn't load automatically when the dongle is inserted or when i do the command modprobe r8152, it is not used.

When I do the command "opkg install kernel-module-r8152" the output is: "Package kernel-module-r8152 (1.0-r2) installed in root is up to date.", but "modinfo r8152" gives:

filename: /lib/modules/3.10.98-poky-edison+/kernel/drivers/net/usb/r8152.ko

license: GPL

description: Realtek RTL8152 Based USB 2.0 Ethernet Adapters

author: Realtek linux nic maintainers <</span>mailto:nic_swsd@realtek.com nic_swsd@realtek.com>

alias: usb:v0BDAp8152d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*

depends:

intree: Y

vermagic: 3.10.98-poky-edison+ SMP preempt mod_unload ATOM

And as you can see, it is just for RTL8152 not for 8153 which I have.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Aaron.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi aaron.guajardo,

Yes I notice you were using the 8153, it seems like you will have to add this module to your image's kernel. As you see the only driver available in the Yocto image is for the module 8152, so you will have to compile it by yourself.

I found this thread where a customer add the cdc_ether.ko to his image, maybe it will be useful to you. Link: .

I hope you find this information useful, have a nice day!

Best Regards,

-Jose.
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi aaron.guajardo,

Do you have any more questions? Please let me know in order to assist you.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

-Jose.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello Jose,

I'm trying to rebuild the kernel but I'm having a hard time building it on a virtual machine running ubuntu 16.04, there are a bunch of broken urls where bitbake is trying to download the sources to build it. Seems that I have to build a recipe for the new module but I have to wait for the recompiled kernel finishes (bitbake edison-image u-boot) and then try to tweak the kernel and rebuild it. I'll let you know if I need any help with this.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Aaron,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi aaron.guajardo,

Good luck with that! We will be waiting for your results.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

-Jose.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello Jose,

I was able to do a full compile in order to update the drivers. What I did:

1. Did all the instructions on the website https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/593591 IoT - Build an Intel® Edison Image using bitbake | Intel® Software and then I had to copy the new r8152.c and compatibility.h files for the updated drivers to the folder edison_src/poky/linux-kernel/drivers/net/usb

2. Do again the "bitbake edison-image u-boot" so that the new driver gets recompiled.

3. Execute ../poky/meta-intel-edison/utils/flash/postbuild.sh .

4. Zip the contents of the folder toFlash: zip -r toFlash.zip toFlash

5. Copy the file over Windows and flash it.

6. Voila!, now I got the new enp0s17u1u4 in ifconfig.

7. Next I connect to the wired network using enp0s17u1u4 and wireless using wifi module using connman.

8. Modify file /var/lib/connman/settings so that ethernet gets priority over wifi:

Add line after [global]

PreferredTechnologies=ethernet, wifi

Thanks,

Best regards.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi aaron.guajardo,

I'm glad to hear that you were able to update your drivers!

I don't have too much experience adding Ethernet devices to the kernel, but by looking at the commands I can guess that you are setting an IP for your device and establishing a DHCP communication.

Here are some links that describes the commands:

1) http://mirrors.deepspace6.net/Linux+IPv6-HOWTO/x1021.html Bringing interfaces up/down

2) http://man.cx/udhcpc(8) Manpage for udhcpc - man.cx manual pages

I hope you find this information useful, have a nice day!

Best Regards,

-Jose.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi aaron.guajardo,

Do you have any more questions regarding your new Edison image? Please let us know in order to assist you.

Hope you have a weekend!

Best Regards,

-Jose.
0 Kudos