cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

Using UART_B for transmitting and receiving data

Hello

I am using intel Quark d2000, I want to use the UART_B for transmitting and receiving of the commands. As the UART_B is used as a JTAG for debugging purposes, but I have seen a blog on the intel that even if i am using the UARTB, I can still flash the board. Link is given

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/using-uarts-on-intel-quark-microcontroller-d2000 https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/using-uarts-on-intel-quark-microcontroller-d2000

Although when i am following the instructions,

1. I connect the RX pin to the ground pin

2. I reset the board using the reset button

I get stuck on the step 3, as when I try to restart the openOCD session, I get an error, now I want to know what I am doing wrong here, is it even possible to use UARTB for sending and transmitting purposes

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AZimi
New Contributor II

Hi,

which error did you recieve? Did you put required JTAG jumpers on the board?

idata
Community Manager

Hi

I am receiving this error "Launch of OpenOCD failed. Bypassing JTAG setup events, due to errors",

I have changed the jumpers as was mentioned in that link that I have described above, I have changed the jumpers J9, J10 and J11 to CTS, RXD and N/C and have removed the J15 and J17 jumpers

AZimi
New Contributor II

I have changed the jumpers as was mentioned in that link that I have described above, I have changed the jumpers J9, J10 and J11 to CTS, RXD and N/C and have removed the J15 and J17 jumpers

Did you return the default state of jumpers, before trying to flash the device?

idata
Community Manager

So, You mean I have to first flash the board while its in the JTAG mode and then I do the procedure as described?

AZimi
New Contributor II

AliKhalid When you want to use UART you need to change jumpers states from default, when you need JTAG again you should revert default jumpers position and follow described procedure.

idata
Community Manager

Lockdog, thanks for your reply

But that is the problem right, when I am using it in JTAG format, everything works and it should work too right (like flashing, debugging and running of the code)

Once I move out of that mode and go for UART, it stops working(it does not flash the program, neither does it debug nor run) and give the same error "Launch of OpenOCD failed. Bypassing JTAG setup events, due to errors", I do not know what exactly am I doing wrong

Here is the picture of configuration of D2000 in UART mode, my question stays, can I not flash board whilst staying in the UART mode?

AZimi
New Contributor II

my question stays, can I not flash board whilst staying in the UART mode?

AliKhalid in UART mode JTAG doesn't work

idata
Community Manager

Thank you so much for your help.