cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SAmad
Beginner

Wake on WiFi?

Jump to solution

As part of my project, I need to severely conserve power (while taking high resolution pictures)... and originally, I figured I would just need to set an interrupt to occasionally wake up, take a photo, ship it over WiFi and go back to sleep. However, after considering future features, it would be really nice to have the ability to do 2 way communication... so I could request a photo to be taken or change various settings remotely.

In order to do something like this, I'd need to be able to wake the system by WiFi. Is there any way to do this? To essentially sleep until the access point looks for a certain MAC address? I know this is a bit of a tall order, as I really don't see this as possible for WiFi, in general... but I figured I'd ask, as I'm just not sure what kind of stuff can be down at this level.

Thanks in advance.

1 Solution
Sergio_A_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I've never heard of anyone trying Wi-Fi wake up on the Edison. I've seen cases similar where users tried to wake up the Edison remotely using USB but currently that feature is not available, so it is unlikely Wi-Fi wake up works.

If you are looking for wake up capabilities you can check the Edison module hardware guide http://www.intel.com/support/edison/sb/CS-035274.htm Intel® Edison Boards — Compute Module Hardware Guide . In the section 4.7 you'll find information on waking up the Edison through GPIOs.

Sergio

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Sergio_A_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I've never heard of anyone trying Wi-Fi wake up on the Edison. I've seen cases similar where users tried to wake up the Edison remotely using USB but currently that feature is not available, so it is unlikely Wi-Fi wake up works.

If you are looking for wake up capabilities you can check the Edison module hardware guide http://www.intel.com/support/edison/sb/CS-035274.htm Intel® Edison Boards — Compute Module Hardware Guide . In the section 4.7 you'll find information on waking up the Edison through GPIOs.

Sergio

View solution in original post