Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rmavr
Novice

What is the best way to load an image (Windows) on STK1A32SC stick? The BIOS does not support PXE load. Using USB is too time consuming for production builds.

What is the best way to load an image (Windows) on STK1A32SC stick? The BIOS does not support PXE load. Using USB is too time consuming for production builds.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello RMavro:

In regard to your question, actually the best way to install it will by using a USB bootable device, as you mentioned it might be time consuming for production builds, but that is the way we recommend to install it since Intel test it that way and we confirm it works, as you can see on the following link:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-compute-stick/000016164.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-compute-stick/000016164.html

You might be able to find different alternatives to install an ISO Windows image on the stick on 3rd party web sites, the thing is that they might not work for different reasons one of them might be compatibility so we cannot guarantee that they will work.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

rmavr
Novice

Hi Alberto,

First, let me say that Intel should provide some other means to load OS, like PXE in Bios.

Second, your link is about how to "update windows". The hardware I reference does not have an OS, so instructions to update existing is not so helpful, right?

We have to resort to USB boot x86, then run diskpart, then copy .wim image. This takes some 20 minutes and is not so helpful when you are in production and need to build 100's or 1000's of units.

You mention 3rd party. Maybe they would be helpful. Can you say more?

Thanks,

Rich

idata
Community Manager

Hello RMavro:

Thank you very much for providing that information.

In regard to your inquiry, in that link the part where it says "Alternate Method: Updating Windows 10 from an ISO installation image" described basically a way to install Windows using an ISO image, I gave you the link as reference is case you wanted to try that method.

Now, you are right it is not the ideal scenario when you are using 100's or 1000's of sticks, that is why we will start an investigation in order to confirm if maybe there is another way to load the image.

As soon as I get any updates from the investigation I will post all the details on this thread.

About the 3rd party tools, since we do not have information or test them before, there is no documentation about those tools, let me apologize for that.

And I will send your suggestion to the proper department for them to be able to get your feedback about adding the PXe option to the BIOS of the stick.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

rmavr
Novice

Alberto,

Great, thank you for undertaking research.

To be clear, we load an image, .wim, not an raw ISO OS.

Looking forward to your results,

Cheers,

Rich

Ronny_G_Intel

Hello RMavro,

I would recommend that you look into the options offered by WinPE, see here for further information: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/commercialize/manufacture/desktop/winpe-intro Windows PE (WinPE)

Windows PE is not a general-purpose operating system. It is used for deployment and recovery. You can basically create a bootable USB device running WinPE that can connect to a server and run the deployment of the Operating System through the network.

I have never tried this myself, never needed to deploy the Operating System in more than two units at the same time and I usually go via regular USB installation or I just take the units that come with the Operating System preinstalled but I couple of things I would consider before spending hours setting up the environment: make sure all drivers included on the main image are working okay and you may expect a slow Operating System loading through WIFI. As I said before, I have never done this before but regular USB OS deployment takes extra time, just think about running it remotely.

Intel doesn't offer any proprietary Operating System installation method as that should be provided by the Operating System manufacturer, I would recommend to contact Microsoft if you have further questions about it.

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Ronny G

rmavr
Novice

Hello Ronny,

Thanks for response.

This is exactly what we already do.

But the question/hope was to support load from network, after PE boot.

Do you know if that is possible?

/Cheers,

idata
Community Manager

Hello RMavro:

This is just to let you know that as soon as Ronny gets the chance he will be able to answer your question.

Regards

Alberto

Ronny_G_Intel

Hello RMavro,

I am sorry for the delay in getting back you, I was actually working on your question and here is the answer:

The STK1A32SC does not support load from network, after PE boot. This capability needs to be supported and enabled on the chipset and BIOS.

On the other side, and just to give you an example, this functionality is enabled on the STK2m3W64CC. I don't really have an answer to why, but I would assume the STK1A32SC is in general much more limited than the STK2m3W64CC.

As far as I am aware the Operating System for the STK1A32SC has to be deployed locally.

Regards,

Ronny G

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Saying this another way, PXE boot is only a supported feature on systems that have built-in wired ethernet support. It is specifically NOT a supported feature on wireless -- and the ICS only have wireless.

...S

idata
Community Manager

Hello:

Thank you very much to rguevara and N. Scott Pearson for the information posted previously.

To RMavro:

I hope that information is useful for you.

Any other questions in regards to this matter please let us know.

Regards

Alberto

MKhan27
Beginner

In this situation I would use an external USB network card. Create a Win PE iso and load the drivers of the network card in the Win PE wim. Copy the production wim to a network share. Make a bootable USB with the WinPE iso. You could get it to map to the share, run diskpart to setup the partitions on the storage and get it to deploy the wim automatically using imageX or whatever you're using.

idata
Community Manager

Hello:

Thank you very much to mashk for the information posted previously, we really appreciate you took to time to shared those comments.

To RMavro:

I hope that information was useful for you, and I just wanted to check if you need further assistance on this matter?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto