Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMona1
New Contributor I

What is the easiest way to get a "Dir" command to work in Yocto

From the above I'm clearly a newbie and windows user.

My simple question is: what is the absolutely easiest way to have some kind of script so the "DIR: on the command line displays the current Linux directory as in windows. I'm currently using the Edison "Yocto" Linux version. As a windows user - - - not wishing to flame --- I find the Linux command line names totally scrambled letters. How for example does "df" get to be show the current directory? Has anybody out there written a type of script that makes it easy for Windows/DOS "die-hards" to use their favorite commands like dir, copy, erase, show, type….. in Linux.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Diego_V_Intel
Employee

Hi monahanz,

You can use the command ls to show the content of the current directory.

There is a reason for the Linux command names, for example the command ls means list, so it is used to list the content of the current directory.

There are several guides and tutorials that show how to use the common Linux commands, I recommend you to check one of those guides. The following site might be a good starting point: https://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/doc/suse/suse9.0/userguide-9.0/ch24s04.html Important Linux Commands

Regards,

Diego

JMona1
New Contributor I

Looks like I not out of the woods yet, Today I brought up the Edison/Linux board and found to my delight that my alias for dir='ls –A –B –F –g –h' worked fine (no matter where is was in the disk files tree).

Excited today I tried for some other DOS/CPM commands like:-

Alias copy='cp -I –r'

Alias stat='df –H'

They seemed to work fine. However what I cannot understand is when I reboot the system they are no longer recognized – yet the original dir alias works. I tried doing the above two alias'es in the top directory by using cd / still no luck.

Help please

John

Diego_V_Intel
Employee

Hi monahanz,

I tried to set a couple of aliases and I got the same result as you. The aliases set doesn't work after the board reboots.

I've also noted that you open a new thread for this topic. Let me run additional tests and see if I can make the aliases permanent. I'll post an update in the new thread as soon as possible:

Regards,

Diego