Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

What is the fastest achievable boot time on Joule?

My application is ideally suited for the GPU on the Joule, however I also have a very short boot time requirement. Can users comment on what boot times they have been able to achieve? I suspect that my requirement can only be met with some sort of hibernation (S4) scheme. It appears that S4 is not supported on the Joule, but I do see ACPI options in the BIOS. My application would have to resume operation quickly after being completely un-powered for months or years.

This is the link stating that S4 is not available:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products/000005793.html Remote Wake up Basics for Intel® Ethernet Products

I have confirmed that the stock Linux OS does not provide sleep or hibernate capabilities.

Thanks for sharing!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi balt,

Thanks for your interest in the Intel® Joule™ Platform.

This is an interesting question! Please let us investigate more about your inquiries and we will get back to you as soon as we have some useful information.

By the way I found this document that might be interesting to you http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/joule-products/intel-joule-thermal-manageme... http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/joule-products/intel-joule-thermal-manageme... .

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

-Jose P.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi balt,

Could you be so kind to provide us the OS that you are using on the Joule. It will be really helpful in order to give you an appropriate answer to all your inquires.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

-Jose P.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Jose P.,

Our preference is to use some variety of Linux. Our efforts to date have been with the stock Linux that Intel provides for the Joule. If a different OS would provide an improved boot time, we would consider switching. Thank you.

Bryan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi balt,

Thanks for sharing this information! We will start investigating regarding the fastest achievable boot time with the Joule.

We appreciate your patience, have a nice day!

Best Regards,

-Jose P.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

This question might have similar answer to the question I asked about using GPIO to wake a sleeping/hibernating system.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi guys,

balt, thank you for your patience.

jay07920, thanks for your interest in the Intel® Joule™ Platform.

After some investigation, we think that the standby state might meet your project requirements https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/721532 IoT . Please let us know if this helps or answer your questions.

We will be waiting for your reply, have a nice day!

Best Regards,

-Jose P.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Jose P.,

S0i3 won't work for us because we need to be completely unpowered. S0i3 stores to RAM, so power is still required to keep RAM functional. S0i4 may do the trick though. Your link pointed me to how you can enter the S0ix states. It looks like I would do: echo "disk" /sys/power/state

I will try this when I get a chance. Thank you.

Bryan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi balt,

Please let us know your results! We will be happy to help with any questions that might develop in the process.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

-Jose P.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Jose P.,

The stock linux on Joule does not seem to support hibernate:

echo disk > /sys/power/state

-bash: echo: write error: Function not implemented

I am however able to echo "freeze" to /sys/power/state. This RAM based sleep won't work for us because we must quickly resume operation after power interruption.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Jose P.,

I am however able to echo "freeze" to /sys/power/state. This RAM based sleep won't work for us because we must quickly resume operation after power interruption.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Jose P.,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi balt,

Thanks for your sharing your feedback!

The link that I provided in my last interaction (https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/721532 IoT ) is for the official documentation of the Joule, it seems that the Joule only supports the "freeze" state. Still, let me ask around to see if it might be possible to hibernate the Joule.

We appreciate your patience.

Best Regards,

-Jose P.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi balt,

Thanks for your patience.

The freeze state is the only supported state at this time. Could you be so kind to provide us more information about your project requirements and needs, so that we can provide this feedback to the Engineering Department for a possible future release.

Best Regards,

-Jose P.
0 Kudos