cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

What is the max sample rate for 12bit adc resolution

Jump to solution

As per the Intel Curie module datasheet.

ADC resolution is set via ADC_RES[1:0] register; lower resolution can be sampled faster than the 12 bit maximum.

However I cannot find any information as how to calculate the max sample rate for a particular resolution. The intel curie supports 12, 10, 8 and 6 bit adc resolution.

I would like to know the max rate of sampling for 12 bit resolution.

Regards

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello DigitalOcean,

I'm sorry for the confusion, lower bit resolution (10-bit, 8-bit, and 6-bit) can be sampled faster than the 12-bit maximum (which is 2.24 MSPS).

It implies that 2.24 MSPS is for 12-bit and it keeps getting higher as the number of bits of resolution decreases.

The samples per second are indeed lower for 12-bit than for 6-bit. That is because it takes less time to sample data that is "smaller" (bit wise). For more information on sampling, please check the following link http://control.ucsd.edu/mauricio/courses/mae143a/lectures/8sampling.pdf.

The maximum sampling rate for the 12-bit resolution is 2.24 Mega samples per second.

The sampling rate is greater than 2.24 MSPS for the remaining resolutions (10-bit, 8-bit, and 6-bit).

I hope that helps you obtain a better understanding of the ADC in the Curie module

Regards,

Andres V.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello DigitalOcean,

Thank you for interest in the Intel® Curie™ Boards.

I found the following information in the Intel® Curie™ Module – Datasheet (http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/curie/intel-curie-module-data...: http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/curie/intel-curie-module-data...):

3.2.17 Analog-to-digital converter (ADC) unit

• 2.24 MSPS conversion rate – See the Intel® Quark™ SE Microcontroller C1000 Datasheet for more details.

"… lower bit resolution can be sampled faster than the 12-bit maximum."

MSPS stands for Mega samples per second.

That means that the max rate of sampling for 12-bit resolution is 2.24 mega samples per second.

Please let me know if you find the previous information useful.

If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

Andres V.
Highlighted
Novice

Hello Andres,

Thanks for our reply.

The datasheet says "… lower bit resolution can be sampled faster than the 12-bit maximum."

and the curie module seems to support 12, 10, 8 and 6 bit resolution.

So I am wondering if it implies that 2.24 MSPS is for 6bit and it keeps dropping as the number of bits of resolution increases.

So I was thinking if the samples / sec would be lower for 12bit than for 6bit.

Kindly confirm.

Many Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello DigitalOcean,

I'm sorry for the confusion, lower bit resolution (10-bit, 8-bit, and 6-bit) can be sampled faster than the 12-bit maximum (which is 2.24 MSPS).

It implies that 2.24 MSPS is for 12-bit and it keeps getting higher as the number of bits of resolution decreases.

The samples per second are indeed lower for 12-bit than for 6-bit. That is because it takes less time to sample data that is "smaller" (bit wise). For more information on sampling, please check the following link http://control.ucsd.edu/mauricio/courses/mae143a/lectures/8sampling.pdf.

The maximum sampling rate for the 12-bit resolution is 2.24 Mega samples per second.

The sampling rate is greater than 2.24 MSPS for the remaining resolutions (10-bit, 8-bit, and 6-bit).

I hope that helps you obtain a better understanding of the ADC in the Curie module

Regards,

Andres V.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Thanks Andres, that really helps!!

0 Kudos