Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager

Where to find the WIN10 product key ?

We just bought about 50 of those Compute Stick, and made a nice setting, installation and interface on the first one, then created an image and reproduce it to another Compute stick. Everythink's ok, exept for the WIN10 activation on the imaged Compute Stick. Windows asking me for the Product KEY, but it is nowhere to be found !

Tried to create a MSA (Microsoft account) prior of re-imaging to digitally store the WIN10 licence on that account, but still not able to re-activate WIN10.

In the setting, PRODUCT ID is there, but Product Key is not showing complety XXXXX-XXX....

Any (very welcome) suggestion ?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Windows 10 does not activate its license that way. You need to boot each Stick into Windows 10, and let it connect to the Internet. That will (permanently) activate the license for each particular Stick. A Microsoft account is not needed (or used) for this process.

After that, you can even do a cold install of Windows 10 Home (x86 or x64), without needing any re-activation (I've done this many, many times with Windows 10). You might also be able to replicate images; I'm not sure. How are you doing the reimaging? My guess is that the activation check is dynamic. See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12440/windows-10-activation https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12440/windows-10-activation

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

looked at the same microsoft support page and it though I was supposed to have a Product Key....

Find the solution for me. Using ShowKeyPlus to read the key, note this key somewhere, apply the new image created from a different stick, and then re-enter the Key and activate it for a Digital License. Works pretty welll.

btw, the image is created and copied with clonezilla. Acronis not working for this case.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Tyli, thank you for sharing your solution.

If you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos