Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GSen1
New Contributor I

Which motor shield should I use for Intel Galileo Gen 1?

Hello,

I have an intel galileo gen 1. I also have adafruit motor shield v1 but i've learnt that it is not supported by galileo. I have to drive 2 dc motors and I am coding on Eclipse ide. What are your suggestions for me? Is there any motor shield that has a library for eclipse ide and is supported by intel galileo? Or tell me if I don't need a motor shield. I just have to drive 2 dc motors by coding on eclipse ide. Tell me the easiest way please.

Thanks.

Tags (1)
4 Replies
Pablo_M_Intel
Employee

Hi davulist,

Could you please tell us where did you get that information? About the shield not working on Galileo Gen 1. For shields and similar things, I would suggest you to check the Shield Testing Report for detailed information on what has been tested before.

Here's the link: http://download.intel.com/support/Galileo-Edison_ShieldTestReport_330937-002.pdf http://download.intel.com/support/Galileo-Edison_ShieldTestReport_330937-002.pdf. On page 70 you can check the tests made for the Adafruit Motor Shield v2.0, probably you'll find something that you can use. Along with this one, some other shields have tested, in case you plan to use a different one.

Regards,

Pablo

GSen1
New Contributor I

Hi PabloM_Intel

I saw a comment here in response to a question. It was saying that adafruit motor shield v1 is not supported. I know version 2 of that motor shield is on the list but version 1 is old and so it is not on the list. If it is not tested, does that mean it is not supported? How can I use this motor shield? Can I control it with mraa library on Eclipse? Do I need its own library which is avaible on its website but for Arduino ide? I have to control it by using Eclipse ide.

Thanks.

Pablo_M_Intel
Employee

Hi davulist,

That document refers to devices that have been tested with the Galileo boards, if it's not in the list it hasn't been tested, but not necessarily that it's not supported by the Galileo board. Have you tried to use it before? We don't have the shield that you're using, but I believe v1 and v2 are similar, so I would suggest you to try using it based on the one tested in the Shield Test Report.

If the library provided is exclusively developed to work with the Arduino IDE you'll need to edit it so that it works with Eclipse and MRAA, is this the case for your shield? Have you contacted Adafruit to check if the library is available for other IDEs like Eclipse?

Regards,

Pablo

Pablo_M_Intel
Employee

Hi davulist,

Were you able to contact Adafruit and ask them about the library? Did they provide an answer?

Regards,

Pablo