Intel® Makers
Intel® Edison, Intel® Joule™, Intel® Curie™, Intel® Galileo
Announcements
Welcome - This is a Peer-to-Peer Forum only. Intel has discontinued these products but you may find support from other customers on this Forum
9873 Discussions

Wi-Fi / SSH Setup Issue on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

BBenH
Beginner
Issue:

I am attempting to run the setup of the Intel Edison on a Windows 10 Pro 64-bit machine. I am using the "intel_edison_setup_win_v2016.2.007" installer. I run into an issue where I cannot set the device name or connect to Wi-Fi.

Hardware:

- Intel® Edison compute module

- Arduino* expansion board

Details:

When on the "Options" section of the installer I am able to install the USB drivers and firmware for the Edison. When setting up SSH I get an error when going to change the device name, "Can't change the device name". I have attached screenshots for reference. It also cannot find any Wi-Fi networks and I am easily within range of many.

Issue setting up SSH and Wi-Fi via Intel Edison Installer (intel_edison_setup_win_v2016.2.007)

Error message displayed "Can't change the device name." when attempting to set the device name and password.

What I've tried:

- Going through the setup steps here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/get-started-edison-windows IoT - Get Started with the Intel® Edison Development Board on Windows* 64-bit | Intel® Software

- Re-setting device and attempting additional install using re-downloaded setup files

- Removing USB drivers and re-installing

- Re-flashing the firmware

- Re-seating Edison chip

- Making sure to use both external power and USB (along with all combinations of this)

- Reset PC and attempted to re-install

Any help is much appreciated! I am hoping that it is something extremely simple that I just missed.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
BBenH
Beginner
Work around solution:

I was not able to solve the Intel setup issue but I was able to find a work around . I downloaded the Intel XDK and then used the serial terminal in that to setup the Wi-Fi and SSH. Below is the commands I used:

configure_edison --setup

I then went through the options and named the device and connected it to my wireless network. Worked like a charm and I can now access the device wirelessly.

I know that this may not be the best solution for some so please feel free to post a reply!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
BBenH
Beginner
Work around solution:

I was not able to solve the Intel setup issue but I was able to find a work around . I downloaded the Intel XDK and then used the serial terminal in that to setup the Wi-Fi and SSH. Below is the commands I used:

configure_edison --setup

I then went through the options and named the device and connected it to my wireless network. Worked like a charm and I can now access the device wirelessly.

I know that this may not be the best solution for some so please feel free to post a reply!

idata
Community Manager

Hi bkhayes99,

Yes the solution is right how you provided it. Besides the Edison Configuration Tool, you can setup the Wi-Fi manually, as it is described in this guide: https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/628264.

About the serial terminal in Intel XDK it is not necessary and you can use any serial terminal like PuTTY (follow this guide https://software.intel.com/en-us/setting-up-serial-terminal-on-system-with-windows). Once you are connected to the serial port just use the command: configure_edison --setup

Regards,

-Leonardo
idata
Community Manager

Hi bkhayes99,

Do you have another issue with the Wi-Fi/SSH setup of the Intel Edison? Is everything fine? If something else happens let us know, we're here to help you.

Regards,

-Leonardo