cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JBass4
New Contributor I

WiFi documentation -- Using external antenna's

Jump to solution

What is the power output at this connector?

When using a high gain antenna, how do I set the output power to stay inside legal FCC limits?

pointer to BCM43340 docs?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Juan_M_Intel
Employee

Hi TotallyLost,

We are working on the certification of Edison with an external antenna. For now we don't have any information to report. Please keep watching these forums, where we will post an update on this issue soon.

Regards,

JPMontero_Intel

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Juan_M_Intel
Employee

Hi TotallyLost,

We are looking into your question, as soon as we get more information we will post it over here.

Regards,

JPMontero_Intel
Juan_M_Intel
Employee

Hi TotallyLost,

We are working on the certification of Edison with an external antenna. For now we don't have any information to report. Please keep watching these forums, where we will post an update on this issue soon.

Regards,

JPMontero_Intel

View solution in original post

JBass4
New Contributor I

I own and operate a small rural WISP in Colorado as a side business that's been around since 1999. I'm aware of the FCC Part 15 regs regarding non certified configurations and own a spectrum analyzer and other gear to make sure any custom configuration I build out can survive an FCC audit.

A lot of hobby folks are both unaware and lack the means to do so, especially without a transmit power specification per operating mode for this device.

Part of why I asked ... and just to provide a heads up in this forum that there is an FCC Part 15 legal concern integrating this device to an uncertified external antenna solutioon. FCC fines are very steep if the rules are not followed.

I'm sure others would like to know what the TX power at MCS0-15 is, along with RX sensitivity. I would guess somewhere between 30-100mw

mweal1
New Contributor III

JPMontero_Intel wrote:

Its been a while... I was wondering if there is any update on this?

Juan_M_Intel
Employee

Hi mweal,

We don't have updates on this yet. I'll post it in here once we have this.

Regards,

JPMontero_Intel
BFres
Beginner

Hi JPMontero_Intel,

Wondering if there is any progress on this... We are looking to include the Intel Edison in a commercial product and want to be efficient with FCC certification.

Thanks,

Billy

Juan_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

If you are designing a product with the Intel Edison using an external antenna you would need to certify it as a separate entity. Currently we don't have any recommendations on which antenna will meet the FCC requirement. I suggest you to check below the max output levels of the Edison build-in antenna SKU as a guide.

Regards,

JPMontero_Intel
KPoon
Beginner

Hi,

I am trying to bring my device with Intel Edison using external WIFI/BT antenna for certification. The test lab requested me to enable continuous WIFI/BT Tx and Rx on Edison. I can't find any instruction how to do this from Edison's FCC reports. Where can I find more information? Thanks.