Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TTony5
New Contributor I

XCTU XBee on Intel Edison using Arduino shield.

Hello, I am trying to connect a XBee 802.15.4 module to the Edison Arduino board using an Arduino XBee shileld as shown in the picture below.

The XCTU Software does not find the XBee module, I have tried all possible options in the discovery menu with no luck.

The shield has a switch with two positions on "USB" and "XBee", using the multimeter, I found that the Dout pin of the XBee module is connected to the Tx D1 pin on the Edison Arduino when on "USB" position, and Dout connected to Tx D0 when on "XBee". However, the Din pin of the XBee module is not connected to Tx or Rx pins on any switch position.

Also tried to wire the XBee module to the Edison as shown in . But it is not recognized by XCTU eigter.

Any idea how can I connect to the XBee with XCTU?

6 Replies
Pedro_M_Intel
Employee

Hello TonyMontes,

Have you tried to use the XBee as explained in the http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-035257.htm Intel® Galileo and Intel® Edison Board Shield Testing Report? In section 48 you can find that the XBee* S1 Module is in fact compatible with Edison and that it has been officially validated. I suggest you to check how they managed to make it work there, it even includes an Arduino sketch for this module.

Peter.

TTony5
New Contributor I

They didnt configure the module with the Edison, In http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-035257.htm Intel® Galileo and Intel® Edison Board Shield Testing Report , the section regarding this shield they had the same problem when configuring the XBee module with the XCTU (page 246), so they used an arduino UNO R3 instead, same in page 32:

Configuration: At the time we conducted this test, the query was not functional on a Galileo. This means that the Galileo board (using this shield) cannot be used to configure the XBee module. For this test we used an Arduino board to configure the XBee module.

They do not give further explanation on this, the pinouts for the Arduino board for Edison and Arduino UNO are supossed to be the same. Any other ideas?

TTony5
New Contributor I

Could it be done using the mraa libraries? as in this thread. Any idea?

TTony5
New Contributor I

Has anyone been able to establish a serial connection with the XBee module on ttyMDF1?

I am trying to do this in order to configure the module using AT commands, but no luck so far.

Tried also with echo +++ >/dev/ttyMDF1 and cat /dev/ttyMDF1 but it seems the module does not respond. If I short the Rx and Tx pins, then I can see the +++ was sent.

Any ideas?

Pedro_M_Intel
Employee

You are right, that means that the Xbee module is indeed functional but it will have to be configured through a different board. The pinouts are in fact the same but the configuration might cause an issue as you read in http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-035257.htm Intel® Galileo and Intel® Edison Board Shield Testing Report for...

Right now my best suggestion is, as the guide mentioned, that you use a second board like an Arduino to configure the Xbee module.

Peter.

TTony5
New Contributor I

Thanks Intel_Peter, finally I have ordered a XBee adapter to configure the modules with XTCU.

However it would be interesting if anyone manages to programatically configure the XBee from the Edison board. In theory it should be possible as it is possible to send data and read from pins 0 1 on Serial1 and the XBee modules can be configured using AT commands.

Tony