Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CPrin
Novice

Yet another Edison hardware failure

Getting a bit frustrated here. My second Edison and Arduino breakout just died. Power light with come on, but does not boot. Happened the same way as last time:

• SD Card file system switched to read only
  • restart came up with a enter root password or press control-D for maintenance, both options did nothing
  • next restart there is no boot. COM port changed, but no serial terminal on the new port. no wireless and no AP.
  • Swapping Edison and/or Board didn't work, both were fried.

There is only a trivial circuit connected. Mostly working on software right now.

This is getting very expensive. I am prototyping for a commercial product. I can't be ordering a new board every week.

Tags (1)
11 Replies
KMill10
Valued Contributor II

There must be something causing this.

You wouldn't expect two devices to die in the same way.

Can you tell us exactly what hardware you have.

When you say both the Edison and the Board were fried - what board it is and how can you tell it is dead?

It sounds like a hardware related issue if it is killing both the Edison and whatever board it is on.

idata
Community Manager

Hi Radix_zero,

Thanks for contacting us!

I'm sorry to hear about that. I think as SpiderKenny that something must be causing that.

Could you please provide the information Spiderkenny has requested? It will help us to identify the source of the issue and be able to further assist you properly. We will be awaiting for your response.

Regards,

-Yermi A.

CPrin
Novice

Edison module

Arduino breakout board

powering off the two usb ports.

the power light will come on. the USB drive appears on the computer. however there is no serial console available (COM port changes but is unresponsive) or network presence (does not respond to SSH, ping, etc. is not in AP mod either)

When the last one failed, replacing the edison module with a new out of the box edison module resulted in no change. Similarly replacing the arduino break out with a new out of the box arduino break out resulting in no change.

I will have to order more parts before i can confirm the second failure is the same as the first, however i don't see anything different in the behaviour.

idata
Community Manager

Hi Radix_zero,

Thanks for your response. If the power LED (DS1) is light up and stays lit and also your computer mounts a new drive named "Edison" is one sign that your board is fully initialized. Have you tried to re-flash your Edison? And also, have you reinstalled the drivers for your board? Here you can find the instructions to do that: https://software.intel.com/en-us/installing-drivers-intel-edison-board https://software.intel.com/en-us/installing-drivers-intel-edison-board.

Regards,

-Yermi A.

CPrin
Novice

I'm not able to flash the board. It doesn't detect that the board is connected.

idata
Community Manager

Hi Radix_zero,

I would like to know a little bit more information, could you please provide more details about what exactly you were doing with the board before you got this issue?

Regards,

-Yermi A.

CPrin
Novice

was soak testing overnight. just logging data to the sd card. (I've got my while application running of the sd)

I made a change to the application, and tried to upload it (Win SCP) this is when the first error happened. (file system is read only)

idata
Community Manager

Hi Radix,

Thanks for the information. It seems to be related to power issues, I'd recommend you to use an external power supply (7-15VDC) and at least 1500mA to power your board. Certain USB ports might not be able to provide enough power to the board and resulting in some very unpredictable behavior from the board.

Regards,

-Yermi A.

idata
Community Manager

Hi Radix,

I would like to know if you still need help in this case.

Regards,

-Yermi A.

CPrin
Novice

I don't think the USB power is the issue. I'm using a hub, and i also have a power adapter which provides up to 2.5A at 12V. But lets assume the power is the issue. we are essentially saying if i for example run my Edison on a battery and the battery runs low, it means permanent hardware failure.

If this is the problem, seems like an odd problem to have. If supply power is too low, sure things shouldn't work, but both board and SoC toasted?

What about all the users which buy this and plug it into the two typical USB ports on any typical laptop? Are most of them going to fry their boards after a couple hours?

idata
Community Manager

Hi Radix,

When the Edison board restarts continuously or doesn't start could be because the power supply used is not providing enough power to fully power the board and keep it running. However, it will not damage the Edison.

Moreover, as you have mentioned, your Edison module and Arduino expansion board seem to be damaged, therefore, I'd recommend you to submit a ticket to the following form: https://customercare.intel.com/?lang=en-US https://customercare.intel.com/?lang=en-US, we might be able to provide further assistance regarding this issue and determine how to proceed through that mean.

Regards,

-Yermi A.