Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor I

apt-get sources.list file is missing, sources.list.d directory is empty in new ref-os-iot 1702 image

It was nice to find apt-get included in the baked image of the new ref-os unlike the previous ostro images, but unfortunately it's not functioning as the sources list is missing, and apt-get update command doesn't fetch anything, so trying to install anything failed for not finding packages. How can we fix and use the package manger in the provided image?

15 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello Hilal,

Thank you for interest in the Intel® Joule™ Products.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I assume you are using the Online Guide for the Intel® Joule™ Module https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-joule-getting-started, and what I saw related to the apt-get package manager is that it is used in the Terminal window of the host computer.

Could you please share the steps you are following (or the guide that mentions that the apt-get command has been included in the latest image) and what packages you are having trouble including?

In the meantime, I'll try to reproduce the issue you are experiencing.

I'll be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Andres V.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hello Andres and thanks for support,,

Yes I read the guide when it came out, and no I'm not confusing the calls of apt-get in the host. I actually knew about the inclusion of apt-get by typing "apt-get --version" myself and was delighted to find it there. The only implicit occurrence for apt-get call in the guide of Joule platform (not the host) may be this one: https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/721521 IoT , where minicom is installed on the Joule to verify its USB connections, but that's not where I'm trying it.

Anyways the apt-get available can't find anything to install by calling "apt-get install ... ", and "apt-get update" doesn't fetch any packages either, and so I searched and realized that the sources.list file is missing and sources.list.d directory is empty, and they don't get populated with the update command either. I could download and try a list file from elsewhere but thought first to ask here to make sure which list is supported from the makers of this image, or else whether the inclusion of that apt was by accident, if so I'd like to send a feature request to include a package manager by default to make it easy for experimenting in early prototypes with the provided image before baking it custom ourselves.

Highlighted
New Contributor I

(continued)

What I was trying to install was Netatalk and Avahi-daemon for zeroconf networking and file sharing. It eases the development by opening the Joule directories from macOS Finder wirelessly and edit code files with IDEs directly from workstation. I already installed them now (and all their dependencies) from sources after apt-get failure, but it took considerable more time to build and debug. So I wish to have the package manager ready for any other third party utility I may need later.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello Hilal,

Thank you for sharing your experience.

I understand the advantages of having the apt-get command enabled, so I'll proceed to investigate the current state of that package manager.

As soon as I have relevant information, I'll post it here.

Thank you for your patience.

Regards,

Andres V.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello Hilial,

Sorry for the late reply.

I reproduced the issue and can confirm that, even though the apt-get command is recognized and has certain parameters that seem available, the corresponding source.list is empty (hence the inability to fetch information).

I'll now proceed to inform the corresponding team.

Thank you for your feedback.

Regards,

Andres V.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello Hilial,

After doing further research, I can confirm that we are supporting the apt-get package manager for easier deployment of compatible packages.

The reason it can't be currently used is because there are no pre-built packages available. This feature is planned for a future release (there is no estimate date for arrival).

Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.

Regards,

Andres V.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

So there is still no solution for using apt-get with the current ref-os-iot?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello waho,

The pre-built packages that work with the apt-get package manager are currently unavailable.

The feature is still planned for future release.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Andres V.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

What's the work around?

Have a nice day!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello waho,

In order to add the packages that you need you'll have to build your custom image. For more information on how to proceed, please check the Programmers Guide in the Online Guide for the Intel® Joule™ Module https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/721483.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Andres V.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

Sorry, let me get this straight. So you're saying that there's no way to install any additional software on ref-os-iot?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello fnoop,

You are correct, currently the package manager is disabled (the pre-built packages are not available), so the only way to install additional software is by building a custom image.

For more information, please check the following link:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-system-studio-iot-c-adding-external-libraries-manual-process

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Andres V.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Dear Intel guys,

When I checked ref-os-iot 1706 image, it has same issue.

When we can use apt-get command in pre-built image ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello brian.kim,

Since the Intel® Joule™ Discontinuation Notice (https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-112092 https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-112092) states the following:

The final release of the BIOS (1Jx) and Reference Linux OS for IOT (1706) developed for use with Intel Joule is anticipated in July 2017.

It is reasonable to assume that the apt-get feature won't be available in the pre-built image.

If you have any update or question, don't hesitate to contact us.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Andres V.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

It is reasonable to assume that the apt-get feature won't be available in the pre-built image.

Utterly pathetic releasing a final version of your reference official OS that you can't install software and is plastered with 'do not use in production' notices. Honestly Intel is doing the right thing by killing the Joule, it's completely incapable of supporting it.

0 Kudos