cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
A5601
Beginner

boot process stops if a USB peripheral with internal storage is connected

Hi,

I have the Compute Stick with Windows 10 and it is connected with USB text writing pad (like wacom)

The writing pad has a built-in storage with preloaded device software and it is recognized as CD-ROM + USB storage under Windows environment.

The boot process won't continue unless the writing pad is disconnected. We tried setting USB boot=Disable in the BIOS but it does not help.

When I select manual boot order, only the Windows partition is available and no sign of CD-ROM.

Any clues? Or there can make permanent changes in the UEFI shell to force boot device order?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, AE5601:

Could you please be more specific about this behavior. Are you trying to boot from this device?

Regards,

Amy.

A5601
Beginner

Hi Amy,

We are trying NOT to boot from the below hand writing pad, which connects permanently to the ICS.

http://sg.penpower.net/product.asp?sn=469 http://sg.penpower.net/product.asp?sn=469

We also did some tests on another hardware platform. System Boot Results as below:

Boot without the hand writing pad

Boot with hand writing pad connected

BIOS: USB Boot = Enable

Boot with hand writing pad connected

BIOS: USB Boot = Disable

Intel Compute Stick

With Windows 10

Success

Fail

Success

Dell Optiplex 3020 Micro

Computer, Windows 10

Success

Fail

Fail

The result shows the USB Boot option on the ICS may not work with this device.

Is there any debug information we can provide to you for further investigation?

Thank you.

Amy_C_Intel
Employee

USB Boot is mainly used to recover, repair and install an operating system, when you enable the USB Boot on your Intel® Compute Stick means that you are trying to do one of these options which you told me that is not what you want to do. The writing pad is somehow recognized as a booting device therefore the Intel® Compute Stick tries to boot from it but since this is not booting device it fails.